91 New Yorker Factory Alarm System [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: 91 New Yorker Factory Alarm System

scdccd
09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Hello. I have a 1991 New Yorker with a 3.3L, 31,000 miles(Car is like new). The car is equipped witht a factory alarm system which i hate. Here's my problem. The horn for no reason started to go off on the car and I could not stop it. I tried turning the key on both doors and nothing seem to work. So I removed the fuse for the horn. It finally stopped after I did that. Well now the will start for about one second then die. I was told it was because the ALarm system was still activated(fuse was put back in) so the car will not run. My question to all of you is how can DE-ACTIVATE this alarm system so I can start and driv e the car? I have the original key remote but it doesn't work anymore. Is there a wasy I can get around this ALARM system???? Any suggestions would be apppreciated.

Thanks
scott

phantomrt
09-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Yea, those factory alarms can be a PITA, but pretty much only when people don't know how to use them... please no offense but there is no reason to hate the factory system.

I'll start with the worst case scenario: You go to the junk yard and get an engine computer and body computer from a closely matching '91 car. Install them simultaneously and remove the alarm module while the battery is disconnected and it should fire right up and NEVER bother you again. Make sure the junk yard car doesn't have an alarm. Just simple removal of the alarm module at this point will not get the car started.

But I would focus on getting the existing system deactivated. You tried deactivating it the right way by turning the lock cylinders in the doors (make sure to try both ways a couple times in both doors) but it is common for the little switches in there to fail, so the solution is usually to go to the passenger side (the less often used side) and deactivate it there but that switch can fail, also.

If you disconnect the battery, and re-connect it, all the parking lights around the car should flash and so should the alarm indicator light inside the car. It does this to alert the owner that there is a factory alarm system present and it needs to be deactivated before the car will start and stay running. If working the lock cylinders doesn't work, I would remove the door panels and find the wire that goes to the door handle and manually ground it. This is all that turning the key does. That should get you started again.

This is cool because I have NEVER seen a K-based car with the remote entry fob before. What does it look like? Where is the reciever module at? I'd love to get one for my '92 GTC convertible but they are tough to find. People wonder why I lock the doors when the top is down and they sure do jump when they find out why! Its got the factory alarm in it. =D

scdccd
10-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the information on the alarm system. I'm going to try taking the door panels off before I go replacing computers. That might just work.

The key fab looks like most of the older Chryslers. It's black with three buttons (unlock,lock and trunk). And I 'm not sure where the receiver is located. If you have any other questions let me know.

88pdance
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I show the remotes avail for the c and y body but not the j body. For the c and y the pn is 4469341. $74.25 list price.