Door mod for new speakers? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Door mod for new speakers?

gary680
05-26-2002, 10:41 PM
I recently bought a pair of Infinity Reference 552i 5.25" door speakers which are still in the mail and I plan on installing them this week. I noticed sort of a problem though...The speakers have 4 screw holes 90 degrees apart around the edge, but the door only has 2 holes to screw into. When I turn the stock speaker, it wont go a full 90 degrees, but hits a piece of plastic on the door. Should I cut into the door, or slice off the screw fastener on the speaker? Has anyone else encountered this problem? thanks

http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/l_552i.jpg

lancefan_001
05-31-2002, 06:29 PM
this may be old news, but you should be able to cut the screw holes off the new speakers to make them fit.

gary680
05-31-2002, 11:53 PM
thanks, that is what I plan on doing...shipping was backed up from Memorial Day and they aren't scheduled for delivery until june 3rd so I haven't got to mess with them yet.

Edge
06-01-2002, 01:26 AM
I would not cut the mounting tabs, the speaker should have all 4 screws in it to prevent vibration. Plus the tabs on your new speaker will not be as strong as the two on the factory. Also the new ones are 5 1/4'' which are smaller than factory, those two holes won't line up anyway. When I was installing, I would make adapters for mounting. Some times the speaker would sit in a recessed, odd shaped part of the door, so I would use the factory speaker as a template to get the overall shape then cut the center for the new one. Generaly I would use 1/4'' material for the adapter, sometimes thicker if I needed clearance for the window and had the room between the door panel. Some flat black paint before installation makes them almost disappear when finished.