99 ES Intrepid - 140K, should I keep it? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: 99 ES Intrepid - 140K, should I keep it?

jpkuzma
09-28-2005, 10:35 PM
I have a 99 Dodge Intrepid ES with 140K miles on it. On its initial transmission, and no major problems yet.

I know I'm running on borrowed time with the transmission, and god knows what else may go wrong.

I'm trying to analyze the situation, and determine if I should let go of this car and buy a new one? Or can it last another year?

I drive alot of miles, about 750 miles per week.

Is it unreasonable? Would I be saving money if I traded it in right now for something else?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

DIT
09-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Drive it till it blows up. Cause with such high miles you probably wont be able to get muc for it if you sold it? so id keep it.

Imadreadhead
09-28-2005, 11:04 PM
yea Romeo had 160,000 on his... took it to the dealership for a trade and i think they only offered him $1,900 for it

DodgeyAussie
09-28-2005, 11:30 PM
If your doing a lot of highway miles as i suspect, i think you've got alot of miles left in it yet. I'd rather have a car with 100k highway miles than 50k city miles. It all depends on how you have maintained the car, and how you drive it.

f59
09-28-2005, 11:36 PM
What makes you think it'll blow up? I know people with chrysler minvans that went well over 400 000km on the original transmission(same basic unit as the LH). The key to longevity in ANY electronically controlled transmissions is regular fluid changes. The good old days when a car went to the scrapyard with the original fluid and filter are long gone. All the manufacturers recommend this because these trannys do not tolerate dirt and crap like the old hydraulically controlled ones did. If you never have changed the fluid or dont know when it was done change it and the fluid and you will notice a difference in shift quality.

DodgeyAussie
09-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Actually, I have heard it said that if you have a transmission with high mileage that hasn't has the original ATF changed, you're better off leaving it alone, and just topping it up as required. Reason being that you are likely to disturb a bunch of crap that has settled over the years and all of a sudden that crap is floating through your trans... ready to fuck it up.

kcj393
09-29-2005, 11:00 AM
I say keep it as long as you keep up with your maintenance. You may be able to stretch it out for another year!

MikeD
09-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I have a 99 es and its coming up on 200k, except for the timing belt she runs great, with just regular maintenance....

peva
09-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Actually, I have heard it said that if you have a transmission with high mileage that hasn't has the original ATF changed, you're better off leaving it alone, and just topping it up as required. Reason being that you are likely to disturb a bunch of crap that has settled over the years and all of a sudden that crap is floating through your trans... ready to fuck it up.I think that was more true a few years ago. The fluids are a lot more stable now and don't create their own residue. No guarantees either way, but I'd say the risks are greater *not* changing it.

jpkuzma
09-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

The reason I thought my transmission was about to go, was my mechanic said that was the next thing that will die, at typically 100K miles. Since I'm at 140K miles... I was thinking I was on borrowed time.

I do notice the shifting is slower, and I seem to push harder for accerlation. Does this mean only fluids are needed?

IS300M
09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Drive it till it shits the bed, I drive like 92% highway miles so I expect the car to last well past 150K. I have a friend with a 3.3L vision with 170K and it runs perfect for her.

DodgeyAussie
09-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

The reason I thought my transmission was about to go, was my mechanic said that was the next thing that will die, at typically 100K miles. Since I'm at 140K miles... I was thinking I was on borrowed time.

I do notice the shifting is slower, and I seem to push harder for accerlation. Does this mean only fluids are needed?

Well, given Peva's advice, and he is probably more knowledgable than me on these things, you might benifit from getting your transmission flushed and have it refilled with ATF-4. The only ATF-4 you should put in it is the one available from the dealership i believe.

CluelessinMO
09-29-2005, 04:18 PM
I'd change the tranny fluid & filter and drive on. There's no reason to believe it's going to fail unless you abuse the crap out of it. I have 190K on my '96 with original transmission. Besides, as someone said, the value with that many miles is getting down to where you're basically driving it free, depreciation wise. Oh, and if you haven't done it yet, it's past time for a timing belt.