Brake Lights Wont Shut Off [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Brake Lights Wont Shut Off

uberneot
10-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi all,

I just got a call from my GF saying that the brake lights on her 99 Intrepid won't shut off, even when the car is off. I looked around in the forums for answers and one person mentioned that they had similar problem when they replaced some sort of brake sensor. They haven't touched anything on this car so could this sensor be loose by itself? For now I just told them to look in the manual and pull the fuse so the battery doesn't die, or unscrew the bulbs. Clearly just a temporary solution. Thanks for your help.

JoeKD
10-02-2005, 11:46 PM
start with the simple thing, lift up on the underside of the pedal and see if they shut off

D76G12
10-03-2005, 12:23 AM
start with the simple thing, lift up on the underside of the pedal and see if they shut off ^^^What he said ^^^

If the lights do shut off let us know, there is a way to "reset" the brake light switch ...

IS300M
10-03-2005, 12:28 AM
its the brake power booster, its go a leak inside of it, causing it to loose the vacuum when the car shuts off so the pedal drops just far enough for the brake lights to turn on and stay on. When this happened in my M in order for it not to kill my battery I pulled the fuse.

D76G12
10-03-2005, 06:20 PM
its the brake power booster, its go a leak inside of it, causing it to loose the vacuum when the car shuts off so the pedal drops just far enough for the brake lights to turn on and stay on. When this happened in my M in order for it not to kill my battery I pulled the fuse. LOUD98's lights were staying on about a year ago - he'd somehow bumped the brake light switch and thrown it off. All it needed was a minor adjustment (reset the plunger) ...

xrental
10-03-2005, 06:45 PM
There is also like a little box behind the brake pedal.It senses when its depressed or not.If its knocked off a little bit the brake lights will stay on.

D76G12
10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
There is also like a little box behind the brake pedal.It senses when its depressed or not.If its knocked off a little bit the brake lights will stay on. I guess you could call that behind the pedal - it's between the pedal and the driver ...

xrental
10-03-2005, 07:26 PM
oh yea......

EspizTrep
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
but if that is so , why woudl it stay on even after the car is OFF? if i keep my foot on the pedal and shut off the car, the lights still go off ... i dont get it lol

GUTTAZTREP
10-03-2005, 09:13 PM
this may sound strange but I remember I had the same problem when I was working on my car.. turns out it was just a simple fuse..
. every time I stuck the key in the ignition.. the brake lights would come on.. and stay on.. the horn would beep and stay on when pressed.. I checked my fuses.. and one of my main fuses was blown.. I replaced it.. and the problem went away..

IS300M
10-04-2005, 12:03 AM
My bet is still the Brake Booster :)

SilverSpecial
10-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Brake Light Switch... This happened in the mothers 2000 Mercury Sable... It was the switch...

Way to check if its the swith:

Drive and see if the cruise control works (30+ mph) if it does then its not the switch... if not, switch is bad

D76G12
10-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Might want to browse these threads ...

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30407
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37251

xrental
10-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Espize--Your brake lights really shouldnt go off when you shut the car off.Come to think of it none of your lights should shut off just because you shut the car off.

dbaudiopro
10-04-2005, 12:25 PM
All lights should be operable with the vehicle shut off. You should be able to turn on the parking lights, headlights and the brake lights should turn on when the pedal is depressed even when the engine is off. These circuits are always powered...

D76G12
10-04-2005, 06:26 PM
All lights should be operable with the vehicle shut off. You should be able to turn on the parking lights, headlights and the brake lights should turn on when the pedal is depressed even when the engine is off. These circuits are always powered... I used to hate it when the dumb-ass in front of me at the drive-in didn't know that. :mad:

Now I have a mini home theater ... :)

dbaudiopro
10-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Drive-in? Damn you just dated yourself man!!! :p

D76G12
10-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Drive-in? Damn you just dated yourself man!!! :p I thought the GTX did that ..! :)

dbaudiopro
10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
I thought the GTX did that ..! :)Only if I missed the post where you said you bought it new. I know a lot of "younger people" with cars that age... ;)

nota1nota
10-06-2005, 06:21 PM
It's the brake light switch. Bring in the to the mechanic. It shouldn't be more than 50 bucks.

I first found the problem on my car when I was replacing a tail light. I backed the car into my parking space, got out and started walking away. I looked back, and the lights were on. Ugh.

D76G12
10-06-2005, 06:24 PM
It's the brake light switch. Bring in the to the mechanic. It shouldn't be more than 50 bucks.

I first found the problem on my car when I was replacing a tail light. I backed the car into my parking space, got out and started walking away. I looked back, and the lights were on. Ugh. The switch is simple unless you have back problems. No need for a mechanic.
Only if I missed the post where you said you bought it new. I know a lot of "younger people" with cars that age... ;) Even I wasn't driving yet in '72 - but I wasn't too far behind ...

nota1nota
10-07-2005, 11:22 AM
The switch is simple unless you have back problems. No need for a mechanic.
Even I wasn't driving yet in '72 - but I wasn't too far behind ...

How? I tryed to figure it out and I couldn't.

D76G12
10-08-2005, 12:26 PM
BRAKE LAMP SWITCH
REMOVAL
(1) Depress and hold the brake pedal.
(2) Remove the brake switch from itís bracket (Fig. 4). To do so, rotate the brake lamp switch in a counterclockwise direction approximately 30 degrees from its proper mounting position. Pull the switch rearward and remove it from itís mounting bracket.
(3) Disconnect the wiring harness connector from switch.

INSTALLATION
NOTE: Prior to installing the brake lamp switch into itís bracket, the plunger must be moved to its fully extended position using the procedure in Step 1.
(1) Hold the brake lamp switch firmly in one hand. Using your other hand, pull outward on the plunger of the switch until it has ratcheted out to its fully extended position.
(2) Connect the wiring harness connector to the brake lamp switch.
(3) Mount the brake lamp switch into the bracket as follows: Depress the brake pedal as far down as possible. Install the switch in itís bracket by aligning the index key on switch with the notch in the square mounting hole of the mounting bracket (Fig. 4). Once the switch is fully seated, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30į to lock the switch into the bracket.
CAUTION: Do not use excessive force when pulling back on the brake pedal to adjust the brake lamp switch. If to much force is used, damage to the brake lamp switch or striker can result.
(4) Gently pull back on brake pedal until the pedal stops moving. This will cause the switch plunger to ratchet backward to the correct position.
(5) Check for proper operation of the brake lamps and speed control.

ADJUSTMENT
(1) Depress and hold the brake pedal.
(2) Remove the brake switch from itís bracket (Fig. 4). To do so, rotate the brake lamp switch in a counterclockwise direction approximately 30 degrees from its proper mounting position. Pull the switch rearward and remove it from itís mounting bracket.
(3) Hold the brake lamp switch firmly in one hand. Using your other hand, pull outward on the plunger of the switch until it has ratcheted out to its fully extended position.
(4) Mount the brake lamp switch into the bracket as follows: Depress the brake pedal as far down as possible. Install the switch in itís bracket by aligning the index key on switch with the notch in the square mounting hole of the mounting bracket (Fig. 4). Once the switch is fully seated, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30į to lock the switch into the bracket.
CAUTION: Do not use excessive force when pulling back on the brake pedal to adjust the brake lamp switch. If to much force is used, damage to the brake lamp switch or striker can result.
(5) Gently pull back on brake pedal until the pedal stops moving. This will cause the switch plunger to ratchet backward to the correct position.
(6) Check for proper operation of the brake lamps and speed control. Good luck ... :)