Worst designed vehicle ever? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Worst designed vehicle ever?

redblurr
05-29-2002, 07:37 PM
I can think of lots of bad cars over the years but I think the worst designed one was the Chevy Vega with the not ready for prime time aluminum engines (except for the cosworth). What a piece of garbage. Leaked more oil than a Harley and they were pretty ugly to boot. 2nd choice would be the Corvair. So many of the early ones burned up (kind of like the Fieros)that they sort self proclaimed there unworthyness!!!

p3
05-29-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by redblurr
(kind of like the Fieros)

The only Fieros that had fire issues were the '84s. And most of them were the Indys, all of which were recalled.

And for the original question, I would say the Aztec or the Avalanche. Lots of hideous plastic cladding and square wheel wells.

DMAG
05-29-2002, 08:42 PM
Fiero = Greatest car ever designed.

Axle
05-29-2002, 08:47 PM
I agree with p3p3, the Aztek is without question the most hideous.

Snowball
05-29-2002, 10:44 PM
Aztec, and all the derivatives from this design.

http://www.geocities.com/cakennedy_98/bad_design.html

Dougman
05-30-2002, 02:25 AM
I have to agree that the Aztec is the ugliest vehicular conveyance known to mankind. I had a buddy that had a 454 in a vega. Now that was special. Ths one didn't leak oil. Used a lot of gas though.

Reiton
05-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Have we all forgotten the Gremlin? And of course there was the "God please don't rear end me" Pinto.

RapidTransit
05-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Yeah, ugly is one thing, dangerous is quite another. Let's go with a combination of the two: The mid-'80's Bronco II. A square box sitting on wheels so closely spaced that the damn thing will flip right over on a high speed turn. I also had the misfortune to wrench on one.

EvilDeadFan
05-30-2002, 04:35 PM
My good friends younger brother works at a pontiac dealership.
Word is, the engine needs to be dropped out at least partially... to change the headlight... And I thought our first gens had probs with the screws.. damn )

Knightmare
05-30-2002, 11:40 PM
Gotta hand it to the good old exploding Ford Pintos. Ugly little things too, IMO.

DMAG
05-31-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by RapidTransit
Yeah, ugly is one thing, dangerous is quite another. Let's go with a combination of the two: The mid-'80's Bronco II. A square box sitting on wheels so closely spaced that the damn thing will flip right over on a high speed turn. I also had the misfortune to wrench on one.

The 2 door Explorers are still based off that puppy. As are the Explorer Sport-Tracs.

SoBL94
05-31-2002, 12:59 AM
http://www.m.benndorf.easynet.be/PRIVATE/CARS/TRABANT/t7.jpg

How about the Trabant?

Made in East Germany for people who couldn't afford a real car.

Quick list of features:

0.5 Liter 26HP Two-Stroke Engine
You Have to Mix the Oil and Gas

Composite Body Panels
Made from Plastic Resin and Wool

1300lb Curb Weight

No Fuel Pump
No Water Pump
No Radiator
No Oil Filter
No Timing Belt
No Valves
No Camshaft
No Brake Servo
No Disc Brakes

Performance Specs:
0-45mph: 20 seconds
Top Speed: 55mph

Reiton
05-31-2002, 10:15 AM
SoBL94,

You win. Damn that's Fugly

nws17
05-31-2002, 05:31 PM
AMC Pacer, no doubt about it:p

admiral_ju00
05-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Ford Focus is the ugliest of all

Ravin
06-01-2002, 11:35 PM
lest we forget the volkswagon thing.:tongue:

RapidTransit
06-02-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by SoBL94
[B]http://www.m.benndorf.easynet.be/PRIVATE/CARS/TRABANT/t7.jpg

How about the Trabant?

Made in East Germany for people who couldn't afford a real car.

LOL, I remember when the Berlin wall went down, the second biggest complaint from West Germans about the East was finding these abandoned along the roadsides. I guess that makes them the world's first disposable car! BTW - the first biggest complaint was from West German prostitutes! Seems the skanky Eastern women were undercutting their price by like 50%. The market was flooded with cheap poontang!

Cerebus17
06-04-2002, 03:53 AM
have you guys heard about the crown vic cop cars doing like the pintos did? I read in the paper they were having a problem with people rear ending the police cruisers and them bursting into flames! Some highway patrolman or state trooper i think, that happened to and he died....really I have never seen anything good come out of ford.

Everytime I am at the shop I take my car to, they are always fixing a ford, and they always are cracking on how stupid they make stuff..like on the explorer they made these "dust shields" to keep dust out of the brakes and wheels, but then the cool air couldnt get to them and they would get too hot and warp. Also blown head gaskets are apparantly very common.

SoBL94
06-04-2002, 08:11 PM

jtatz
06-04-2002, 09:18 PM
I think the new Cadillacs are pretty damn ugly...

DMAG
06-04-2002, 11:34 PM
I kinda like the direction the new Caddy's are going....someone at my office has a new CTS...I think it's pretty sharp in person.

SoBL94
06-05-2002, 02:52 AM
those CTS cars all based on the OPEL platorm they used for the Catera

JGarrett911
06-05-2002, 11:06 AM
The new Caddys are alright, although, the old STS was a hell of a lot better....

but how about the Buick Rondezvous?

http://www.motorcities.com/articles/enlarge/bu_ren1.jpg

Knightmare
06-05-2002, 05:43 PM
My parents are thinking of buying a new Rendezvous actually.
I'll gice you one thing, it's ugly as hell, but wasn't the thread worst design ever, not just body panel design?
The Rendezvous is actually designed kinda well I'd say, it's just really ugly.

alderran
06-21-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by jtatz
I think the new Cadillacs are pretty damn ugly...

Doesn't that look a little bit like a Pacifica??? Does to me.

p3
06-21-2002, 07:48 AM
I think the new CTS is friggin sweet. I also like their Evoq roadster or whatever the hell they call it now.

VISION1
06-21-2002, 10:27 AM
Way too much plastic for a truck:tongue:

BCintrepid
06-21-2002, 08:07 PM
if you what ugly are all the plastic looking GM's putting out. Astek is one good example, and the pinto is ugly but a pinto wagon with the fake wood panals. ya baby the real pimp wagon.

00ChryslerIntrepid
07-12-2002, 10:04 AM
There's very little in the CTS that resembles the Pacifica... maybe the front quarter panels, but that's about it. GM did good with them, but kinda missed the boat when designing the rest of the car's face.... the car as a whole is not the worst-looking GM I've seen, but it's definitely not gonna make me wanna get one.

My personal opinion on ugliest vehicle (aside from the Aztec/Rendezvous) would probably be those Geo Metro 4-dr.'s and the convertible (I don't care if it's called Chevy now... it'll always be Geo to me.. hehehe)

c:\documents and settings\maustby\desktop\geo.bmp

alderran
07-12-2002, 11:55 AM
What is a Geo metro really? Like a Geo Prism is really a Toyota Corolla and those old Geo Storms were really an Isuzu Stylus... so where did they dig up the Metro from?

DMAG
07-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by alderran
What is a Geo metro really? Like a Geo Prism is really a Toyota Corolla and those old Geo Storms were really an Isuzu Stylus... so where did they dig up the Metro from?

Suzuki or Subaru something or other....

Snorton Norton
07-12-2002, 02:51 PM
1) AMC Pacer

2) AMC Matador (although this bitch had a HUGE engine!)

TehKing
07-12-2002, 04:09 PM
The Geo/Chevrolet Metro was (is) a Suzuki Swift.

DMAG
07-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by LHSer
The Geo/Chevrolet Metro was (is) a Suzuki Swift.

That's the one.....:wink:

Snorton Norton
07-12-2002, 09:46 PM
But cmon, look at these beauties! The Gremlin, Matador, Pacer, and maybe even the Hornet. Man, AMC made some horribly ugly vehicles in the mid 70's.

The Matador:

Snorton Norton
07-12-2002, 09:47 PM
And lest we forget, the ugly ass Pacer:

cobra65
07-14-2002, 08:56 AM
The Pacer was originally designed to have a rotary engine in it, but they decided they didn't want to spend the extra money to develop it so they put an existing 3-banger in it, problem was, all that glass made it too heavy. Best cars AMC made were the AMX & the Javelin...after that it was a downhill slide...

As for the metros, those things were made for congested Japanese citys where parking space is minimal, hence the small size and power, they aren't really made to be highway cars. I hade one given to me as a rental when my New Yorker was being fixed. The engine made so much noise at highway speeds that I thought something was wrong with it (like stuck in a lower gear) that I called the rental co. They said it was normal. I couldn't imagine traveling with it, you would have a headache from the noise.

You forgot one of the most goofy and ugly new cars...the Toyota Echo! And one of the most dangerous & underpowered...the old Suzuki Samurai's.

cobra65
07-14-2002, 08:58 AM
whoops, typo! Meant 6-banger for that Pacer....:tongue:

Snorton Norton
07-14-2002, 09:13 AM
AMC, hmmm. Man, they screwed up the Harley Davidsons from the word "go" also... When we think of a Harley dripping oil on the garage floor, we absolutely must thank AMC for their contribution in that realm...

dodgeguy
07-14-2002, 10:59 AM
don't you mean AMF. I do not think AMC ever had anything to do with Harley Davidson.

Snorton Norton
07-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by dodgeguy
don't you mean AMF. I do not think AMC ever had anything to do with Harley Davidson.

You are correct! Damn it's too early on a Sunday morning. I need another Cup-O-Joe, and an ice cold orange juice...

Tropicana400man
07-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Intrepidatious
Fiero = Greatest car ever designed.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: Cheap on Gas and Sporty:cool:

Tropicana400man
07-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by jtatz
I think the new Cadillacs are pretty damn ugly... What? You have to be on something....not to like the new Caddys! I think that this is the best thing that happened to caddy since the damn Lexus came into play. I saw one of those caddy's for the first time in Chicago this weekend, It looked sweet!:cool:

Tropicana400man
07-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Snorton Norton
But cmon, look at these beauties! The Gremlin, Matador, Pacer, and maybe even the Hornet. Man, AMC made some horribly ugly vehicles in the mid 70's.

The Matador:

My parents bought a Matador when they first came out. We had a steep drive way......the day they came home with it; my dad put the E-brake on.....well the damn thing went rolling down the drive way and into our neighbors yard and came about 3 feet from hitting their house. The brakes sucked on those things. But the funny thing is, eventhough I remember this.....I think they are KINDA COOL looking. :cool:

BCintrepid
07-16-2002, 06:13 PM
Yugo baby got to be a Yugo or how bout a Renualt LeCar.

cobra65
07-16-2002, 11:25 PM
I think the Trabant still wins the prize. another piece o' junk was the Citroen 2CV...a whopping 35 hp....wow!:rolleyes:

BCintrepid
07-20-2002, 01:28 AM
Volkwagon Rabbit diesel. need not say more if you drove behind one

Knightmare
07-20-2002, 02:42 AM
My mom had a Rabbit Diesel, ad she loved it for years. SUCH good gas mileage, lasted for so long.

And what's wrong with the Yugo!
Figure $$$ per mile, one of the best ever built.
Tune up??? No, just buy a new one for the same price.
Sure, it wasn't fast or sporty, but it wasn't DESIGNED to be.
It excelled at what it was designed to do.