DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Help with problem when driving 40-55MPH no load (cruising)

616 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  vin_mcp 
#1 ·
Hey folks, new to posting in this forum, tried to figure it out myself, but I'm stumped.

Scenario:
97 Trep Sport 3.5 with 86K Mi. No mods 'cept chrome Vision 16x7's and an UGLY primered aftermarket hood after running into the "a s s" end of a pickup truck that modded my original hood, radiator and upper rad support (the one on the right is for going...use the one on the left to stop - duh :00000024: ...all fixed). Was code 21 for a while, then stalling, running rough when engine not actually under high load...but when running at 20-55, would surge / buck almost like looking for a gear or something. Anyway had no $$$ for fixing.

Well, my raise came in and there was a retro, so I did what I could. Changed the plugs (Champion Coppers), Wires (Mopar OEM). Fuel filter, gas filter, oil (Mobile 1 10w 30 and Mobile 1 filter like always) and finally a pair of O2 sensors (manifold ones, not the one behind the cat). Pulled the fuse and cleared the codes. Now am only getting 12 and 55. Still having issue with car running a little odd at speed of 40 - 55 MPH just cruising at highway speed. Car feels like it might be looking for a gear or maybe I just ought to change that last O2 sensor...anyone have any ideas?

FYI, change the trans fluid at dealer about 15k mi or 5 months ago. Never did a limp mode thing or anything else.

Thanks for reading.

Anyone have PC questions feel free to ask...its what I do.

Vin_mcp

See less See more
#2 ·
hey vin, not sure if you know or not but the error codes 12 and 55 are just starting and ending codes for the sequence of error codes. All problem codes are displayed between them. As far as the problem goes with the speed i cant really help ya there. Also wanted to stated that i work on PCs for a living too so if there is something that u might not know just give me a buzz and maybe i can help in some way. Sry i cant be of more help

#4 ·
RE: Help with problem when driving 40-55MPH no load *SOLVED*

Well, this issue is solved. It did turn out to be the fuel pressure regulator. I pulled the car into the garage last night and did the swap.

*TECH TIP* Borg/Warner regulator P/N 23021 ($54.99 at Pep Boys) is slightly different to the one that was removed. The BW regulator has two O rings and two plastic bushings used to make a tight seal in the rail. In order to insert into the rail, it was necessary to remove each O ring and fit them into the rail receptacle. It was then easy to fit the new regulator into position. Also note that when removing the old regulator, make sure both O rings are removed with it. I found it necessary to extract the smaller ring using pliars.

Attempts to insert it with the O rings mounted to the regulator was futile. Unfortunately, when the O rings are removed from the regulator for insertion to the fuel rail, it makes it easy to drop the plastic compression bushings, NOT what one would like to do with the air intake plenum removed. I did drop the larger compression bushing but fortunately it went down behind the engine, not into the engine. It took me an hour with a flashlight and finally jacking the car and getting under it in order to locate the wayward bushing. The worst part of the whole thing was my concern for the fuel vapors building in my basement garage.

Once I located the bushing, I finished fitting the regulator into the fuel rail and re-fastened the bracket to the rail. I called it a night at midnight and wentback to it this morning. The rest of that job and a thermostat gasket replacement went smooth as silk and the car is back to its normal, smooth riding self.

Thanks popimp for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm now changoing the oil with Valvoline Synthetic and for the first time trying the M301 filter in lieu of the M204.

Peace!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.