DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Outer tie rod question

728 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Big3 
#1 ·
About 2 months ago I replaced both inner tie rods and one outer tie rod. The one tie rod we left on appeared to be in decent shape. We added a bit of grease to make sure it was topped up. Now, just recently, I noticed the whole outer tie rod was covered in grease like it maybe exploded from the inside?! How can I check to see if this outer tie rod is still good?

#2 ·
You should always replace tie rods in pairs. It seems that you just filled too much grease into the dust boot of the tie rod end. When the wheel moves up and down it applies pressure to the dust boot and will squeeze out excess grease. Just wipe it down and it will be fine. Make sure to have the outer tie rod ends tightened down horizontally with out it tilting to one side or it will fail again very soon. This is due to bind-up when the tie rod end has to move and is unable to.

#3 ·
When I had the alignment done they put both of them tilted instead of horizontal. Why would they do that? As for the grease I will wipe it off. I was going to replace both of them but the "mechanic" helping me said it was a waste of money. Can't say I'm very good friends with him, haha.

#4 ·
Cause the mechanic is too dam lazy to use the proper tools to tighten the lock nut. He has to use another wrench to hold the outer tie rod end level then tighten the lock nut. This has been an issue in causing premature failure of the outer tie rod ends since the end was tilted, it can not move when the wheel goes up and down over bumps, especially if the wheel is turned. It binds up and will cause a popping noise (this is the tie rod end failing). Miller tools has a special tool that can be used to lock down the outer tie rod end while the lock nut is torqued to keep it from tilting (or rotating). Take it back and have them do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.