DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Blinking Engine Light - Knocking

922 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  pucking 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've been having an ongoing issue with this car for awhile now.

It's a 97 Intrepid v6 3.5L with a lot of electrical issues.

Today, after the second day of snow here, I started her up (cold: -15C)
and found her idling rough at a stop sign. I was almost bouncing
up and down but there was no other indication of any problems
other than that until later on. Further on in the day the engine light
came on and started blinking when I drove, it would stop sometimes
when I left her to idle or at traffic lights.

I had issues like this last year but most were solved by my mechanic.

My error codes are: 12. 43. 55.

#2 ·
Code 12 and 55 are nothing to worry about. 12 indicates the battery was disconnected and 55 is the code to let you know its the last code stored. code 43 has to do with the ignition coils. Usually when you get a flashing CEL its due to misfiring, which is probably happening with your car since your getting a flashing CEL and a code 43. Get the coils checked out or replace them. If yo keep driving like that, unburned fuel can accumulate in the catalytic converters and cause a fire, another reason why the CEL flashes for these kind of conditions, to alert you that a serious problem exists.

#4 ·
D76G12 said:
How many miles/kms ...?
Approx 142,000kms.

My last post was a little rushed. Sry. I've had numerous issues with
this car, last year i had most of the same sortof behavoiur but the mechanic
found a old vaccuum tube collasping on itself (after changing the spark plugs
and ignition wires). I found that even after that the car would still run a little
rough.

I'll check the ignition coils tomorrow.

:banghead:

#6 ·
pucking said:
Approx 142,000kms.

My last post was a little rushed. Sry. I've had numerous issues with
this car, last year i had most of the same sortof behavoiur but the mechanic
found a old vacuum tube collapsing on itself (after changing the spark plugs
and ignition wires). I found that even after that the car would still run a little
rough.

I'll check the ignition coils tomorrow.

:banghead:
Hmmm, I would wonder what the plugs got gapped when recently installed. If they're at 0.050" then maybe they need a little tweaking? I don't know what the coil pack runs up there but here it cost me almost $100 - to me, that's enough to check out a few freebies first. The coil pack may be the problem but it just seems a little odd to me that it would shoot craps on your first really cold day ...

#7 ·
Check the terminals in the ends of the spark plug boots. I had a caravan before my trep, where one of the terminals was rusted from water getting into the spark plug well. It only acted up when it got damp outside. Did it a few times before I tracked it down. I wrapped sandpaper around a pencil and cleaned it up and no problems after that.

#8 ·
Ryan D. said:
yeah, this happened to me, but it my case the misfiring was due to more than just coils.
What did it turn out to be?

I'm going to replace the ignition coil today. Funny thing is : After checking out the O2 sensor i desconnected the computer to see if the cel would clear and it does. It hasnt come back on? The car is still running a little rough so....

Out comes the old and in goes the new.

#9 ·
i had/have a smimalr issues. And the blinking light means that sumtin is kinda serious and ya shouldn't even be drivving lol but sometimes ya don't have a choice lol. I have gotten that same code and its not the coil, the only explanation for my code is the wiring harness to the coil itself, that is pretty much the only thing that can casue it on my situation. But it can't hurt to check your harness. One day if its dongi it realyl bad at idle, wiggel the harness and wires around i did that before and it smoothed right out, not it happens rarely but i do still need to fix it

#10 · (Edited)
gr8crash said:
i had/have a smimalr issues. And the blinking light means that sumtin is kinda serious and ya shouldn't even be drivving lol but sometimes ya don't have a choice lol. I have gotten that same code and its not the coil, the only explanation for my code is the wiring harness to the coil itself, that is pretty much the only thing that can casue it on my situation. But it can't hurt to check your harness. One day if its dongi it realyl bad at idle, wiggel the harness and wires around i did that before and it smoothed right out, not it happens rarely but i do still need to fix it

Well, I changed the ignition coil. Not too hard, only 3 bolts so only a couple hours wasted.

At the same time, I looked at the back of the engine and saw some green coolant sitting ontop of the transmission gearbox under the motor at the back. Also sitting on the box was a diamond shaped gasket which was stuck there by oil/sticky fluid. (?????)

It seems this engine has been worked over from before (it was 2nd hand at 120k) i've found black tape to reinforce one of the air intake tubes.

Sigh.

She runs somewhat better now but still has a bit of a bouncing problem. I'm going to try the windex vaccuum finding tomorrow. :notify:

She also has a funny smell after I've driven her a bit... I can't tell if its fuel or coolant. It's almost like a rotten egg smell.

Any other suggestions?

#11 ·
pucking said:
She also has a funny smell after I've driven her a bit... I can't tell if its fuel or coolant. It's almost like a rotten egg smell.

Any other suggestions?
Rotten eggs (sulfur) usually has something to do with the cat going bad but in your case it may be a natural consequence of whatever is going on in the engine. I've seen newer cars smell that way when partially burnt gas is getting to the cats but that could be caused by either bad spark or rich fuel. Did you check the gap on the plugs? It may just be a matter of setting them a little closer. Seems like I remember someone saying the 1G 3.5L liked 0.035" in cold weather ...?

#13 ·
if its oil it will just smell crappy and kinda "thick" if that makes sense, if its coolant it will smell sweet and kinda yummy lol. And there is suppose to be 4 bolts on that coil pack lol i've heard that if your missing one it will casue a misfire but idunno bout that one for sure.I'd check teh wires again, and if you stil hve the issue get it scanend at autozone, if its OBD2 i forgot, and see what it says.

#14 ·
gr8crash said:
if its oil it will just smell crappy and kinda "thick" if that makes sense, if its coolant it will smell sweet and kinda yummy lol. And there is suppose to be 4 bolts on that coil pack lol i've heard that if your missing one it will casue a misfire but idunno bout that one for sure.I'd check teh wires again, and if you stil hve the issue get it scanend at autozone, if its OBD2 i forgot, and see what it says.

4 Bolts? !!! There were only three on it, though there was a forth spot. :dogpuppy:

I'm going to change all the plugs tonight, I know I should have done this first
but she is running better than she was for sure. However, it's like she was running on at 30% and now she's at 60%.....

I tried water misting the engine, no real change happened, I've also infused the gas tank with injector cleaner.

Her ride is still rough, whenever I am about to change gears she shakes like the dickens. From 0-10, 40-60 and 70-90kms, she starts to vibrate so much I think I'm about to go back in time. :couto:

If this doesn't work, I'm going to put it up on stilts and tip my head underneath.

BTW, the smell is like a burnt rubber smell, coming from the back and I'm not squeeling my tires.

#15 ·
thank you guys.

She is now working fine.

Here is what I've done:

Changed the ignition coil
Changed the spark plugs
Changed the spark plug wires
Changed the air filter
Put injector cleaner in the gastank

Somehow she is now working ok. My next project is to change the
coolant.... sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.