DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Car Won't Start, Just a click

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  biniecki 
#1 ·
My car won't start, was working ok this morning. First time this happens, the battery is about 18 months old.

However, the lights and radio turn on when i turn the key, but when I try to start the engine, I just get one click.

I'm about to go check the terminal connectors if they're ok, then I'll see if the lights dim or turn off when I crank it.

Anything else I should look out for ?

thanks

#3 ·
When you get the one click do the lights go dead?

If yes look for a connection (voltage drop) problem like dirty terminals and so forth.

If no you probably have a bad starter.

#4 ·
as don said, if the more you try to start it, the more the lights dim then its probably a voltage drop caused by the battery. If the lights dont start to dim, next place to look would be the starter. Clicking noises tend to be synonomous with starter problems anyway.

#7 ·
What year and engine do you have?

I would suggest to put some money away for a new starter. My 94 3.3 started with intermittent starter problems as you are describing and then it finally quit just after I picked up the replacement. I have pics and a video of mine when it was going out on my website.

http://94concorde.dodgeintrepid.net/Starter Replacement.htm

#9 ·
Just had my battery go out last weekend. Batterys tend to go when it gets cold out especailly if they are old but if urs is only 18 months i would check the warranty on it and see if you cant get it replaced. Most batteries now have about a 2 or 3 yr warranty on them and if u have the reciept you can just goto the store where u got it and they will replace it for free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.