DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Hi to all,

664 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  pdr51 
#1 ·
Hope that Thanksgiving was great.

I let my husband drive the trep on the way to wally world. He went to make a wide turn to get into a parking spot when all of a sudden there was a loud pop kinda sound. Next thing you know we have no steering control. Pulled it on in next to a parking spot, (of course it is night time) tried to look under the car but just too dark.

While sitting there trying to figure out what just happened, and waiting on a tow truck of course, I messed around with it a bit. Ok, steering wheel turns, no problem, but the wheels don't turn (neither one of them).....

Got out and tried to wiggle the tires, not really sure why but I did anyway and doesn't seem to be any give there.

Get it on the car hauler, get it home and dude goes to drop her down off the hauler when all of a sudden she won't go straight into the drive, left wheel looked toed out and right looked toed out..... Any of this make any sense? Can someone tell me where to start looking tomorrow?
Love ya guys, Marilyn

#3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply

k-nash, yep, you got that right, both wheels look like they are going the oposite direction. but they didn't do this until coming off the car hauler. I think that you may be right about the steering rack. I just noticed that there was oil or something with that color to it coming out of a spot in the center but more towards the front. Could just be an oil leak as she is a 95 3.5 with 198,000 on her......... I know she is getting old but there is still so much power in that motor......... wah :(
Marilyn

#5 ·
maridane said:
is there a gear box under there somewhere, in the middle and towards the front? This isn't oil, it is a thicker consistency than oil....... wish it was morning already, dang it!
Marilyn
The power steering pump is at the front drivers side of engine. The rack is in the center ,but behind the engine. Sounds to me like the two bolts that hold inner tie rod ends to the rack are broken.

#8 ·
Thanks guys

it is morning and well finally got it up and took a look.. It is the rack and pinion alright and the inner tie rod.......... One thing going for me is that my son is the mechanical one, yea?

But, he just told me that everyone he has talked with said get rid of the car. Guys, this is going to be a bi**h to work on isn't it?

Can't afford a car payment right now. Really can't...... Don't know what to do. Christmas around the corner, found out yesterday the house payment is going up to 600.00 a month on the first of January, need brain surgery but have to go to NY from Arkansas......... Man I am just f**ked.......and sick.

Thanks for all your help tho, what a wonderful bunch of people here.
I love my trep.......Sure gonna miss her
Marilyn

#11 ·
Get it fixed

If you like the car, and don't want to have the cost of getting another car- get it fixed. Figure $300 for remanufactured streering rack and inner tie rod bushings and bolts and another $300 to have the work done by an experienced, honest (keyword) mechanic. Let's say around $600- and you have your car back on the road, safer than before because the steering system is not suffering from neglected normal wear and tear. Good luck.

#14 ·
Remanufactured P/S rack by A1 Cardone at www.rockauto.com: $129.79 (w/o auto stick, w/standard steering); $148.89 (w/o autostick, w/speed proportional steering), $347.79 (w/auto stick). Core is about $125-$150. I would replace the outer tie rod ends and the inner tie rod end bushings as well. Hope you don't have auto schtick. You would need to remove the wiper motor cowel, intake plenum tube and get some hoses out of the way in the back, remove any remaining tie rod connections and a few bolts and two hose fittings and you can lift the steering rack out from the top. Slap a new one in, re-attach everything make sure to measure tie rod lengths before seperating lock nuts, assemble the new tie rod ends and lock down at approximate length - take to alignment shop and you should be good to go, less $300 ($550-$600 if you have auto stick). I would also replace the p/s pump and all rubber p/s hoses, also flush out the metal tubes with compressed air. The p/s pump is only $60.79 (also A1 Cardone).

#16 ·
I want to say a big thank you

to everyone, we got the rack for $149.00 also got the inner tie rods and only ended up spending $195.00 for everything. Of course it helps to know one of the managers at Advanced Auto Parts down the street.

My son is working on getting it in right now and we have run into a problem in that we are going to have to contact someone else for the bolts to put the rack in.... Tried the auto parts stores and none of the bolts fit....... Oh well... Just another delay.

I can't afford to do anything else right now to it......So other things will have to wait until next week or so.........

Anyway, Like I was saying, I want to send out a big thank you to all who have posted to this thread and offered up their advice and help. You are all such a wonderful group and I am proud to say I am a member of this wonderful forum. God Bless each and every one of you......

wb, thanks for the offer hon, sure a shame you don't live closer, :) but hey I do have a son that is mechanicly enclined, yeah, lucky me... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.