DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Here's a good one!!!

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  scbailey 
#1 ·
I not sure if there has been a post on this yet but here's my problem;

I was driving home the other day when the gauges on my dash started to come on and off then they just stopped working, everything on the dash died but the gas, abs, and seatbelt lights came on, but not the check engine light.

I kept driving, as the car was still running, and I got another mile or two and the car just died then the check engine light came on. I pulled over and restarted the car with no problems. This happens every once in awhile.

Any ideas? :notify:

#2 ·
My car was doing the same thing and I found thru turning the key on and off several times that the trouble would go away. My ignition switch went out earlier this year - the little contacts inside burned out from years of electrical 'arching'. The dealer charged me about $50 for a new one and I installed it myself. I needed one of those little tiny torx sockets that I didn't have so I used a pair of pliers to remove the two torx head bolts holding it on and replaced them with small bolts I got at the hardware store. Its not the ignition key cylinder, but the electrical switch that is connected mechanically by a long shaft from the key switch thru the steering column to the left side. Just remove the covers and you will see where the wire harness attaches to it.

#3 ·
Mine did that when my TCM had a bad solider joint causing trans problems.

I believe the TCM would throw trash on the system buss causing the ECM to go crazy.

In my case all the gauges would reset (cycle to 0 and come back) lamp test etc. and then all would come back fuctioning.

Since there are three controllers plus an otis if you have one setting on the buss, could be anyone of them doing it...if your problem is related to a controller.

As Big3 said, an intermitant power problem could do the same thing. Could be a hard one to track down. Might try giving the steering column a thump while your driving to see if you get a reset.

#4 ·
i just hit my gauge cluster when it does that and it stops fing around with me :p although one time after the guages went crazy somehow my speedo needle got stuck under the peg... yeah i got pulled over goin 76 in a 45 :p but he let me off because of the needo, then later some how the needle bounced over the peg.

#5 ·
Japy said:
yeah i got pulled over goin 76 in a 45 :p but he let me off because of the needo, then later some how the needle bounced over the peg.
[hijack]

A cop let you go because your speedo was busted? Thats just another ticket if anything else... Besides, how could you not know you where going 76 in a 45. That much over the limit is considered reckless driving in my state...

[/hijack]

#6 ·
/hijack

well this part of road is kinda hilly and it suddenly goes from 55 to 45 with no warning sign, and i forgot about the speed change- i knew i was speeding alittle just wasnt sure how much, was late to work (this is a far out country road i was going down, its only 45 because its kinda hilly) i thought i was only goin around 58ish, he did a u turn and followed me for awhile before he pulled me over so i figured i wasnt going THAT fast if it took him that long, but then i found out he was just not believing i was speeding that much with a cop behind me :p

/hijack off

#7 · (Edited)
Japy said:
i thought i was only goin around 58ish, he did a u turn and followed me for awhile before he pulled me over so i figured i wasnt going THAT fast if it took him that long, but then i found out he was just not believing i was speeding that much with a cop behind me

LOL.... that's hillarious!! :driving: :driving: :biggrinfl

#8 · (Edited)
maybe BCM

I've had an intermittent problem like that for about three years that I refused to take it in for. I've had a couple of mechanics suggest it might be; one guy called it the body sensor, one called it the body computer. I've looked it up in my Hayes manual and a lot of the things I've been having problems with, are routed through the Body Control Module. Also, I have seen several suggestions in this forum for similar problems and the suggestion has been the BCM.

Mine started with not shifting out of first for one day one year. Two days the next year. Then all gauges would go wacky, odometer doesn't work. Wipers come on when the wiper switch is turned off. It would stall and not start for about ten minutes. Some times for than others, but would always start eventually. Sometimes it would clunk and go spastic when I decelerated and then go away. Latley it has been fine except for the gauges and some times a little shudder that is obviously the engine.
If it just stopped and never worked again, I would have had it fixed by now. It's been strange, but it still works. The car has 260,000 Kms and the original transmission.

Anyway, maybe the BCM
good luck

#10 ·
I have not had this problem in a while but someone told me to change my key (looked a little warn out) they thought it might be slipping out as I drive down the road, the road home is not smooth. I thought it was easy enough and cheap enough to try. I don't know what fixed it but I did take out the ignition switch and put it back in so what ever did it, it seems fine now. Thanks for all the help! I love this Forum...... so much help for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.