DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Passenger Side Rack Bushings

597 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Big3 
#1 ·
I have replaced the driver side rack bushings with the Moog replacement bushings (and previously had the inner tie rod bushings replaced). Unfortunately, the rack still moves significantly when the wheel is turned. You can feel the system slop in the steering due to it. The wheel will "flop" back and forth as the wheel is turned. The passenger side rack bushings appear to be the most likely source of my problem.

Has anyone previously replaced the passenger side rack bushings? This question was asked in http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47667 , but not fully answered. This is some type of clamp down with bushings installed. I really do not want to replace the entire rack.

If you have replaced them, did you get the parts at the dealer or where? I called the dealer parts counter, but the guy working there was less than helpful.

#2 ·
Sorry I can't help you out, but I had a question for you. Mine looks like the passenger side bushings are holding well, but both driver side bushings are shot. When I order the Moog bushings, do I need 2 or do they come in a set of 2? So total of $35 or 2x35?

Thanks

#3 ·
cartmanea said:
Sorry I can't help you out, but I had a question for you. Mine looks like the passenger side bushings are holding well, but both driver side bushings are shot. When I order the Moog bushings, do I need 2 or do they come in a set of 2? So total of $35 or 2x35?
The moog bushings come as a pair in the box to do the driver's side. I paid $40 for mine locally at O'Reilly.

#4 ·
txz28 said:
This is some type of clamp down with bushings installed. I really do not want to replace the entire rack.

If you have replaced them, did you get the parts at the dealer or where? I called the dealer parts counter, but the guy working there was less than helpful.
I think the rack was redesigned for 96 97 models and I have a 97. Also have the same problem. I have replaced the rack in the car and it didnt come with the passengers bushing. But I was able to fix it. I removed the actual clamp I think three bolts. Then I removed the old rubber piece underneath the clamp. I went to Home depot in the plumbing section and got a piece of rubber 'tube' that worked really well. It came with hose clamps on either end and was about $5. I dont know the technical name for it but you can get it in a very close size in diameter as needed. Then just cut the tube length wise and slip it around the rack then tighten the bolts on the clamp. I would recommend doing this soon because when the rack starts moving alot the steel lines on the rack will begin to leak.

#5 ·
If you have a 95 the rack bushings are the clamp on type. Just go to the dealer and get replacement bushings for both sides (they are two diferent part #'s). Loosen both sides so you can lift up the rack slightley to slide the bushings over the rack. To replace the driver side, I had to remove the wiper motor housing to get to it. The bushings cost about $10 or so each at the dealer. I had just replaced one side but it didn't help much until I replaced both sides. Get someone to sit in the car and rock the steering wheel back and forth and look inside the hood at the rack bushings to see how much movement there is. If the rack slides inside the bushings, the bushings are bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.