DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1993 Intrepid 3.3

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Green Machine 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my 1993 Intrepid when I am driving the gauges drop to zero and the car dies. It is an intermittent problem. I think it is a ground problem but really have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance for any advice.

#5 ·
It could be caused by a switch I have had that problem and it was actually caused by the output sensor on my trani. With out the proper input from the trans it just cut out. It would help if you would elaberate more about it. has the tach needle ever jumped around when it shut off?

#7 ·
bad ignition switch would kill all the accesories. not the gauges or the engine, so rule that out.

bad trans sensor (either of them) would not cause the gauges to drop to 0, or kill the engine either. so rule that out.

bad Crank sensor, yea, maybe... depends on what he means by all gauges. If just the tach is going to 0 then i'd say yea. He says all gauges drop to 0, so i rule out the crank sensor too

I think ****** has it right. It sounds like a failure in communication on the CCD bus. Have you checked the computer for codes? heres how:
http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9477

I'd bet on a failure in the pcm. Gauges on the dash are controled by the BCM. Which is fed data by the PCM. You either have a connection issue at the PCM, or a faulty unit all together...

#8 ·
I had a similar sounding problem...
Several times in the last week, within the first 10 minutes of operation after morning start up, the car has lost power. HeadLights dim, tach drops to zero. The first time it happened it lasted only 3 seconds and then everything came back on line by itself.
It happened again this morning and it lasted much longer, about 30 seconds. I didn't think it would come back online, but after coasting over to the shoulder, it finally came back by itself.
Never has happen on the way home from work :confused:
Tomorrow I'll look for any codes. Hopefully they'll point me in the right direction. If not, I'll try the crankshaft sensor. I sure hope it's not the PCM as I'm sure that would cost a lot more to replace.....

#9 ·
when I got my 93 3.3 back in 98, less than a year later, mine would do that. Drive down the road at hyw. speeds or in the parking lot and it would just die. It had only done this a handfull of times. Everything. I replaced the battery after one morning of it just not having any power and I haven't had any problems since. At least not related to power. :) Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.