DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

wheel bering???

977 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Great White 
#1 ·
I have a 93 Concorde that has developed a noise in the front end. It is a bearing/road noise sound that wasnt there before. It is speed related, it doesnt change with transmission shifts, just gets faster as the car accelerates. It also becomes more pronounced during braking and if you turn right. The sound esentially stops when you make left turns. I checked the wheel berings and one was a little lose but not bad.

Any idea on this? I thought about using a needle grease and shooting some grease in the hub berings, has anyone done this before?

thanks,

Wallace

#2 ·
If you are sure its the bearings, you might as well replace them, as they may be pitted and valleyed. A cheap and easy way to pack bearings is to stick them in a ziplock baggy with some grease and play around with the bag for a few minutes; mashing the grease into teh bearing. Since you'll have the tires off to do that job, do a quick inspection of the brake pads/rotors to see if any unusual wear is appearing.

#6 ·
My bearing was loose, causing the wheel to be loose when grasped by the top and bottom. I replaced the whole hub assembly for $120 CDN + $100 for the 1 5/16 socket and a 3/4 rachet. If your concorde has the same sized axle nut as mine, have fun tracking down that size of socket, took me a few days.

#9 ·
depends how badly it's stuck on there, I tried for hours to get the hub off, to no avail.......... check www.rockauto.com, you'll probably find a mush better price ($72 + shipping vs. Autozone's $125, 1 yr warranty)

#13 ·
wb6vpm said:
unless it was stripped or rounded, all of them are 34 mm
It was in fine shape. I bought a 34mm socket, because 32mm was too small and 36mm was too big(I had everything but a 34mm handy). Came back and it was way too loose. Went through a bunch of my neighbours tools and found a 1 5/16 which was a perfect fit. My car is in Canada, maybe they used a different nut for some reason. The replacement nut that came with the hub assembly was the same size aswell. It had me stumped, I was totally sure it was a 34mm myself... but trying to use the 34mm did nothing but strip it. 1 5/16 and a 34mm are very close, maybe you just got lucky with the 34mm. If I had an impact I'm sure I could have gotten away with it, but with hand tools no way. That was my experience anyway.

#15 ·
Yup.
hub bearing gone.
don't fool saround with repacking.
It's a little pricey to replace, but a new one will last as long as your old one, probably 4-5 years or so.
Oh yes, get good quality stuff. Cheap ones wear out rally quickly in this high stess area. Spend a little more now to save money in the long run.
If you can, buy or borrow some air tools. It'll go sooo much easier.

Cheers :beerchug:

BJ :anon:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.