DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Dropping the tank

758 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  95trep3.3 
#1 ·
Sup guys I was wondering if there is anyway to drain the gas out of my vision tank before dropping it?

#10 · (Edited)
I would try to take the hose off the fuel filter and turn the ignition on and see if it will keep pumping the fuel out that way. BTW, why would you need to drop the tank? Of course, I would pump it into something, and be sure to take breaks as not to burn up your fuel pump (if it will work that way).

If it were me I would try to support the tank and drop it with the fuel in it and then attempt to drain it then because it is a poly tank and shouldn't be that terribly heavy even full of gas.

#13 ·
dabirdzR/T said:
in the front of the trunk, if you have flip down seats is very easy to access it, if you dont, take the 10 minutes and pull the seats out. like 95trep3.3 said, 4 nuts, remove access port, and your fuel pump will be right there.
I don't think there were 1'st gens with fold down seats, because they have a big X shaped brace behind the rear seat. There should be enough room to work on it from the trunk though it would be nice if you could remove the rear seat. Though I think the X would get in the way.

Just be careful when dropping the tank you have plenty of venthilation and no fire near by. I know this is practically common sense but it's worth another warning being how flammable gas vapor is. Might also be time to invest in a locking gas cap after you finish flushing out the tank.

#14 ·
Exactly right! The first gens have a metal X back there that would make it difficult. Also, you can see the front of the access cover in my pic.

When I replaced my fuel level sending unit on my car, I pulled the carpet and worked in the trunk. I just sat down in the spare tire area. I would recommend pulling the carpet completely out to service the fuel pump. It is very easy once you get the carpet out of the way.

#15 ·
I sure hope you've got less than a full tank! 18gal of fuel weighs around 100 pounds! Even with two guys it will be a pain because your up under the car. I have a little hand pump that works for draining fuel, it takes forever but with the lack of fire hazard I can deal with it.

#17 ·
You also realize that you have to take the rear suspension out in order to drop the tank. If I were you I would remove the pump assembly and take a flashlight and look in the tank through the hole. Just be carful of the fumes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.