DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Clunking sound from front end

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  91Firebirdzx28 
#1 ·
This morning i noticed a clunking sort of noise coming from the passenger front side of the car. The noise only seems to occur when turning and sounds like that of a blown shock bouncing when hitting some bumps. Just wanted to see if anyone has any idea as to what the could be.

#2 ·
Sounds like rack mount bushings, I have a thread going about mine here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63886

Sounds much worse when its cold in the morning. Have someone wiggle the stearing wheel back and forth to make the noise while you look at the rack from the drivers side, it is located behind the engine and the two tie rods attach to it. It'll either be the two mount bushings on the drivers side, the clamp bushing on the passengers side, or the inner tie rod bushings where they mount on.

#3 ·
stablizer bar links

#6 ·
trepid1 said:
I hear it on mine in the mornings when it drops below 40 degrees at night. Dissapears completely after 1/4 mile of driving everytime. Won't hear it again until the next morning. IF anyone finds it I would most apreciate the info. :brutal_34
This is exactly what mine does and it is the two rack mount bushings, I can see movement there and hear it make the noise.

#7 · (Edited)
where are the rack bushings located? Does anyone have some pics of them? When turning the steering wheel while parked the noise does not occur. It is only while the vehicle is in motion making the turns. It doesnt happen all the time but when it does it is usually when im making a right turn.

EDIT: Was taking a look on the underside of my car and noticed that the Cradle to body insolator busing is almost gone on the passenger side. Could this be the problem?

#9 ·
Well im beginning to think that it is the rack bushings like you guys first suggested yesterday i mentioned that when just turning the steering wheel i didnt hear the noise. However today i must have turned it further that i did yesterday and noticed when turned all the way to the right or left (mainly right) and move the wheel back and forth a little i hear the clunk/pop noise as described b4. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to change these bushings. Thanks

#10 · (Edited)
My car is a second gen but the build up is similar if I remember correctly. Mine was popping and making a sound like the spring was jumping while turning the steering wheel. Turned out to be the upper strut bearing. Didn' t make any noise when it went over bumps though. Possible causes are endless when you talk about front end and clunking. some possible sources:

Strut bearings
strut
broken spring
Worn out spring isolator
wheel bearings (althoughthe Growl long before they clunk usually)
tie rod ends
ball joints
control arm bushings
stabilizer links
Sway bar bushings
steering rack, tie rods, buchings etc.

what you need to do is get close enough to pin-point the noise while someone else cycles the steering or bounces the car. Just stay well clear of moving parts as the person helping you won't be able to see you while turning the wheel and you're crouched down on the passenger side.
Blocking the wheels and engaging the park brake is a good idea too in case they hit the shifter by mistake or the car jumps.

As to how to change the bushings, everything you need can be found in these downloads:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30662&highlight=download+manual

Thank Hypno's for posting this manual.

Good luck

Cheers :beerchug:

BJ:anon:

#13 ·
With mine it was the outter CV joint.

The dealer replaced the links and it still had the problem.

Although my noise sounded like a bang under my foot too.
It was a service bulletin from Chrysler of noises that couldn't be found...

-Mario

#15 ·
I have that too, its on the driver side, I ain't gonna fix it cause i don't have the money and i don't think its going to fail anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.