DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

diagnostic codes 12 and 43, missing at idle

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  elfutbolero 
#1 ·
Hello:
I own a 1996 3.5L intrepid, with 84000 miles.
The check engine light came on. I read the codes from the dianostic flashing display. They are 12 and 43. According to the Hanes manual, one is due to a loose electrical connection at the battery terminals, or at the PCM. The other code has to do with the regulator not putting out enough voltage.
Another thing is that I can feel the engine missing at idle, in any gear. I've also notice that the fuel consumption has dropped. But if I gun it, while moving, it seems to accelerate without any problems or hesitation.
I've checked the connections and taken voltage reading while loading the system. The battery seems to be charging just fine.
I cleared the codes, but the engine light came back on after a week or so, with the same codes being display.
The next bit of information may or may not have to do anything with this. I replaced the old mopar brand battery with an optima brand. I made the connections, started the vehicle without any problems. the vehicle ran fine for about two months, then the engine light started to flash and staying on with the engine missing at idle.
I was wondering if someone knows anything about this.
Thank you

See less See more
#3 ·
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9477

12 - means that the battery has been disconnected within the last 50-100 starts
43 - Peak primary circuit current not achieved within maximum dwell time (could be on ignition coil #1, #2 or #3) and or Misfire detected (hook up scan tool reader to determine which cylinder)

the 43 will kick an engine light. It sounds like you need to check and or replace your sparkplugs and wires, and possibly the coil pack.

#4 ·
Thank you

Hey:
I read some more last night and found that the coil pack may be faulty.
So just like you said I replaced it. I had already replaced the plugs and wires.
The engine light went out, I did disconnected the (-) terminal from the battery. The code did not come back. Right now it has a little of a rough idle, which I think can be fix by cleaning/replacing the IAC valve.
Once again thank you for your fast response. This Forum is awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.