DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

weather cold now tranny slips?

672 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Big3 
#1 ·
my wife's 95 intrepid ever since 2 weeks ago when it first got below 50 here, when you first start it and put it in D or R the engine will freely rev for 5 - 30 secs then it will either firmly grab like you just shifted into gear or start gradually grabbing (like a manual with the clutch pedal pushed halfway) after a minute everything's perfect until you shut it off and let it completely cool down for a couple hours.

when we got this car it used to have problems where it would shake and shudder real bad at 35-40 and always hunt for gears, I read here about dexron being real bad for it and I figured I might try and replace the fluid, I drained the fluid from the pan (not the cooler at all) and replaced the filter and filled it up with Castrol ATF+3 and it worked perfect, shifted right every time and no more shudder. But now I'm reading in other thread here that I should only use atf from the dealer or amsoil? is the castrol stuff no good? would it be worth my time and $ to try dodge brand atf? if so should I disconect the cooler lines and try and blow it out with air?

I think there is a small differential oil leak, as of now I lack the right size/shape of wrench to check it, could that cause a problem like that??? is there anything else I should check?

#3 ·
I would start with checking the tranny fluid. It might just be low. Make sure the tranny is warm when you check it and the car should be running in park. I changed my differential fluid once since Ive owned the car I used an adjustable wrench. Differential fluid would not effect the shift problem.

#6 ·
Check out my post "Tranny Flush". I used a 1-1/8" socket and a 6" extension to remove the plug to check the 90W gear oil. A "tie wrap" slightly bent is the "dip stick" that I used to check the level.

#8 ·
Yeah, check fluid level after its nice and warm, like after a 30min drive and all gears have been shifted though. If the fluid level is fine, it could be a sign of problems to come. Auto trannys tend to slip a little more in cold weather since the fluid is thicker and takes longer to compress clutch packs fully. Try starting it and letting the engine reach operating temperature, tranny should warm up enough to eliminate slippage if the cold is really the problem. Honestly though, I take right off in mine and its about 30 degrees here in the morning, so it sounds like you could have early signs of a tired tranny.

#9 ·
Erickm said:
my wife's 95 intrepid ever since 2 weeks ago when it first got below 50 here, when you first start it and put it in D or R the engine will freely rev for 5 - 30 secs then it will either firmly grab like you just shifted into gear or start gradually grabbing (like a manual with the clutch pedal pushed halfway) after a minute everything's perfect until you shut it off and let it completely cool down for a couple hours.

when we got this car it used to have problems where it would shake and shudder real bad at 35-40 and always hunt for gears, I read here about dexron being real bad for it and I figured I might try and replace the fluid, I drained the fluid from the pan (not the cooler at all) and replaced the filter and filled it up with Castrol ATF+3 and it worked perfect, shifted right every time and no more shudder. But now I'm reading in other thread here that I should only use atf from the dealer or amsoil? is the castrol stuff no good? would it be worth my time and $ to try dodge brand atf? if so should I disconect the cooler lines and try and blow it out with air?

I think there is a small differential oil leak, as of now I lack the right size/shape of wrench to check it, could that cause a problem like that??? is there anything else I should check?

i am having the exact same problems so i feel for ya buddy. I am currently trying to figure it out as well so if you find an answer be sure to share it on here and i will do the same if i figure it out.

#10 ·
Drain out the tranny fluid, replace with ATF+4, drive for 10 miles, drain out again and replace. Chrysler sells a re-usable gasket for the pan so you don't have to keep using the RTV stuff. I bought one for $28 from www.allchryslerparts.com but I do not have the part # handy. It was listed in a TSB issued a while back. You may want to replace the accumulator piston seals that are in the tranny accessible by removing the valve body inside. I just did mine and it shifts better now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.