DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

too all of those in winter with power windows

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  GreenVisionEsi 
#1 · (Edited)
it sucks doesnt it? those ***** are always frozen shut... so heres my question loll

could someone tell me how the rear defogger circuit works... clearly?:p

i'd put two stripe of this on each window, wired to the heated mirror which i'm supposed to have...

would that get too hot for the rubber? is this even possible?

let me know... that would be such a damn useful mod lol

#2 ·
GreenVisionEsi said:
it sucks doesnt it? those ***** are always frozen shut... so heres my question loll

could someone tell me how the rear defogger circuit works... clearly?:p

i'd put two stripe of this on each window, wired to the heated mirror which i'm supposed to have...

would that get too hot for the rubber? is this even possible?

let me know... that would be such a damn useful mod lol
Your reasoning is sound, and it would be a useful feature, however....
I think it would be a major pain and extremely unreliable. I doubt if the circuit for the heated mirror would be able to handle the extra juice without frying fuses or wires. Electrical defrosters draw ALOT of current.
If you had lots of cash to burn, you probably could make it work.
You would be better off figuring a way to duct warm air from the windshield defroster/heater system to the bottom of the window inside the door. The problem with frozen windows is that the sometimes only freeze at the seal on the bottom, sometimes they freeze all the way around the window.

Cheers :beerchug:

BJ:anon:

#4 ·
GreenVisionEsi said:
THANKS MAN!!!!! your such a god...

it flashed before my eyes... punch a hole in the air duck that goes to the door vent... ill keep thinking about it...

what if i put relays and tap the current wire elsewhere?

i really hate frozen windows..
I agree. frozen windows do suck. Just part of power windows in canada I guess.
I hate pulling up to timmies to ge tmy mornig coffe and having to open the door to pay or get it.
I usually get around it by keeping my window seals well lubricated with silicone spray. It keeps the rubber from freezing to the glas by displacing the water that gets in there. Problem is, it's only lasts a little while. Interior warmers heat the car up enough to free up the windows while the car is warming up, but they usually freeze again once you start rolling in minus temps.
The problem with ducting hot air away, is you are reducing the effeciency of the windsheild defrosting system. Not ideal in cold canadian winters. You'd also have to pull alot of air away to keep those windows heated.

I would love to see it work though. It's just a little hard to see how it could be done efficently without sacrificing something else.

I don't really know enough about the electrical system to give any good advice right now.
BUt I may have to do a little research on the subject, I'm becoming a little intriqued with the matter........

cheers :beerchug:

BJ :anon:

#6 ·
I do not know about heated windows but you could try running a line of vasoline on the upper part of the window at the top and also on the rubber that the window meets when all the way up. The oil base will not freeze and it would lubricate the rubber. Careful with this thread, could go south real fast. lol

Oh yea, What the heck is Timmies????????? It is damn tim hortens, I hate when people call Tim Hortens that. :) joking

This is the only Timmiessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
I use a spray bottle of alcohol that I keep in my car. Away from the ashtray for obvious reasons. I simply spray the bottom rubber piece on the outside and they go down. I must admit that they do go down very slowly in the winter.

Reactions: GreenVisionEsi
#10 ·
LHSDriver01 said:
[hijack]
I know all you canadians swear by Tim Hortons, but i've been to Canada a few times over the last few years, and let me just say i'll take dunkin donuts over Hortons any day ;)

[/hijack]
I don't know of any hockey player named dunkin donut, so you just be quite! Tim Hortons rules!

#11 ·
Paul G. said:
I use a spray bottle of alcohol that I keep in my car. Away from the ashtray for obvious reasons. I simply spray the bottom rubber piece on the outside and they go down. I must admit that they do go down very slowly in the winter.
thanks for the tip :) I have to tell you, as long as they go down... i usualy open them only ½ an inch to smoke anyways... lol

#12 ·
Yea they suck in the winter. The are so slow that sometimes i have to actually force the window down with my hand. The problem only occurs for the first like 4" and then its fine and going up is a breeze. At first I thaught that my switch or motor was going out but then soon realized it was just the harsh cold weather causing the problem. Any other solutions that people have found to help are greatly wanted. Ill have to try that alcohol trick.

#13 ·
I know what you guys are talking about. Here in the Orlando area we get tons of cold weather and the snow is insane at times.. err wait.. What's snow? Actually I moved from NY a year ago and I really never had issues w/ the windows in the winter. If they did stick, the vent from the defroster that is on the door cleared up any issues quickly. I used to remote start my car before venturing out and unless the ice or snow was bad, I didn't have issues. Didn't really need to scrape and I was wasting gas but atleast my hands weren't getting wet!

#14 ·
Have thought about this problem as well as been frustrated by the same thing.Haven't tried yet but what about a strip of electrical tape on the top of the glass as a barrier between the felt and the cold glass? as well as a lubracant to prevent freezing!
Should have been Dudly Doright donuts (cop, donuts).

#17 ·
Yeah frozen windows are a PITA. Mine were froze a few weeks ago when I was in the drive-thru at the bank. A heater circuit is an interesting idea but not done correctly is a fire waiting to happen. I see some solutions suggested with vasoline and stuff applied at the top of the track but I see problems with the windows freezing at the bottom. I could see this when I tried opening mine they would only go down as far as the weatherstripping at the bottom of the window would flex and then stop. Applying vasoline or anything else there would smear all over the window once it went down and back up.

Interesting side note on the heated windows. The Caravans (at least the '98 I used to have) had not only the rear defrost, but a few heated stripes on the bottom of the front windshield also. They were there to keep the wipers defrosted, at least that is what I read. Heated mirrors are another innovation on some cars. Why not heated windows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.