DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Black LH's

573 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  jfsram 
#1 ·
How is the paint on your black cars?

I have an black 87 Ram that has lead a very hard life. Paint is still glossy but the roof and hood are severely faded. It's been forgiven for it's 18 years of putting up with our harsh environment

My question pertains to our black 94 LHS. The difference is although it's outside 365 days a year. It's often washed, dried, waxed and sometimes claybarred very well cared for compared to the Ram.
Paint looks great for a daily driver except for a few spots on the trunk lid that have faded white. I wonder if it was flawed from the factory.
:crowd:

#2 ·
Ah! The 90s Detroit Paint Blues

As I understand it, these problems occured when the Big 3 changed from solvent based primers and paint to water based formulas.

It tends to peel after some time, sometimes it started to peel a few months after the car was new!

From casual obsrvation of vehicles in the area with peeling paint it appears that darker colors are affected more, but that could be just me.

#5 ·
I know Neons and Chrysler minivans were effected by this. I've seen several of both around my area with peeling pain. In fact just last year the one assistant manager at work had his Neon's paint peel from the roof. One day I just came into work and it was gone. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with this thread cause his Neon was white.

#8 ·
The light colored spods on the trunk, if you notice, line up with the internal braces of the trunk lid. The paint actually isn't faded, but the clear coat is crazing (spelling?). Its where the clear coat gets lots of little cracks through it and is from too much sun. My car has a nice X pattern faded in the trunk, the braces make it get a little hotter in those places when it sits in the sun. The top of my car is pretty bad too. I buffed the **** out of my car this summer with Meguires heavy cut cleaner, light cut cleaner, polish, then wax....didn't help it out.

#11 ·
I think you guys are right. No problems with the black paint peeling just something going on with the clear coat. Odd thing is my hood except for the odd stone chip is perfect and shiney and the roof is I dare to say better than new.
I'm considering having the trunk repainted but since I have a bathroom to redo, a basement to finish, a garage to insulate and a Super Bee that need to be put back together I may just live with the fading clearcoat. Cheers to all and Merry Christmas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.