DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

95 Intrepid wont start.

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dodgerunner 
#1 ·
When I try to start my car, I hear the starter go then the engine kicks for one or two strokes the kills. I repeat with the same result. I tried this yesterday and today after recharging my battery. I ran the faults and all I get are 12, and 55. Now I am going to dry out the plugs since I'm sure it is now flooded too, but I'm sure that willl not solve my base problem. The only thing that I can thing of that I might have done was damage one of the sensors, or vacum line when I replace the inner tie rod bushings, other then that I have not had to do anything to my car. Any Idea what my problem might be?

#3 ·
Does it turn over real slow when you are starting it. if so I would just recharge the batt. or replace it. if not then I would say you might have pulled a vacume hose some where. What engine do you have?

#4 · (Edited)
Sounds like a bad/old battery. You can take the battery to a garage and have it tested with a dynamic load tester.
Charging the battery doesn't always work if the battery is too old, has a dead cell, or is sulfated. You can test it yourself with a hydrometer and multimeter, but I would just ferry it down to the nearest store with a dynamic load tester. It's often a free test as they know you will probably by a battery if yours is crapped out. Call around your area and see who offers the service.
The other possibility is the starter if on the way out and drawing too many amps. The only cure for this is replacement of the starter. Most auto supply stores and shops have a tester for the starter as well to see how many amps it draws. Again, this is usually offered as a free service.

It could be a combination of an older starter drawing a few too many amps more than a new unit, and an older battery just a little too tired to keep up.

If I had to guess, when they load test your battery, I'd say it will come back unserviceable.

There are a few other possibilities, but they're pretty uncommon.

Good luck :beerchug:

BJ:anon:

#5 ·
What engine do you have? and what is the production date of your 95'? Check out the door sticker, looks like this:

(ignore the yellow arrow, i used this pic for another post, the mfr date is at the top left of the pic:)

Reason i ask is that because with 95' model Intrepids built before Feb 95' have a known issue with starting in the cold. There is a TSB with suggested fixes.

This is it:
PCM/Spark Plugs - Cold Weather No Starts

NO: 18-15-95

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: May 5, 1995
SUBJECT:
Cold Weather No-Starts

MODELS:
1995 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker

NOTE : THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.5L ENGINE BUILT BEFORE FEB. 17, 1995 (MDH 02-17-XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Engine fails to start in extremely cold weather (below 0°F.). Engine will crank and may fire intermittently but does not continue running. Engine may also fail to jump start. It may be necessary to dry spark plugs and move vehicle to a warmer area (repair bay) to start.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the Mopar Diagnostic System (MDS) or the Scan Tool (DRB III) with the appropriate Diagnostic Manual, verify that all engine systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) are present, record them on the repair order for future reference and repair as necessary.

NOTE :THE FOLLOWING REPAIR PROCEDURE AND PARTS ARE ONLY INTENDED TO IMPROVE COLD STARTING PROBLEMS IN EXTREMELY COLD WEATHER. IT WILL NOT RESOLVE DRIVEABILITY RELATED HARD STARTING OR NO-START COMPLAINTS UNDER OTHER CONDITIONS.

EQUIPMENT/PARTS REQUIRED:

1 CH6OOO Scan Tool (DRBIII)
1 CH7035 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB)
1 CH7020 Body Cable
5.5 4761838 Mopar 5W30 Motor Oil
1 5281090 Mopar Oil Filter
6 56027275 Spark Plug (Champion RC-12-LYC)*
1 4275086 Label - Authorized Modification
1 4669020 Label - Authorized Software Update

* Spark Plug, P/N 56027275 (Champion RC-12-LYC), with a .035" gap is the only spark plug certified for the 3.5L engine. For vehicles built between Oct. 24, 1994 and Feb. 17, 1995 the new software included in this bulletin must also be installed.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves changing engine oil and filter and replacing spark plugs, and reprogramming the powertrain control module with new software.

1. Replace the plugs with P/N 56027275. Verity gap of 0.035 in. on new plugs before installation.

NOTE :TO REMOVE THE CABLES FROM THE SPARK PLUGS, LIGHTLY GRASP THE RUBBER CAP AT THE TOP OF THE CABLE WITH PLIERS, AND PULL STRAIGHT UP WITH A STEADY TWISTING MOTION. DO NOT PULL ON THE CABLE ITSELF.

2. Change engine oil and filter using Mopar 5W30 oil, P/N 4761S38.

NOTE :REVIEW WITH THE OWNER THE PROPER USE OF 5W30 ENGINE OIL AS DESCRIBED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. SAE 5W30 AIDS IN LOW TEMPERATURE STARTING AND IMPROVED FUEL ECONOMY, HOWEVER, CONTINUED USE ABOVE 32 DEGREES F. AMBIENT TEMPERATURE MAY CAUSE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE.

#7 ·
I know the TSB says 0F, but when i had my 95' (thats my old door sticker up there ;) ) It would have problems in as cold as 32F. That car was a ***** to start in the winter. Changing the oil to 5w-30 and changing the plugs always did the trick for at least the season. In the early winter months when i still had 10w-30 and 8 month old spark plugs it would take forever to get it running in the morning.

#8 ·
no the starter sounds strong, and checked the battery it is good, and I have recharged it a couple of time, and I have never had problems starting in the cold before and it has been cold for a while already. Can't check the sticker right now I'm not at home, will post later

#9 · (Edited)
Last night it got down to 15 F at South Lake Tahoe and my 95 3.5 Concorde fired right up even with my plugs gapped at 0.60"+.

I even have my 86 Carrera 3.2 plugs gapped the same and the specs call for 0.028"...go figure.

Not sure if smaller gaps have anything to do with cold start problems.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.