DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Strut Cartridge

940 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pdr51 
#1 ·
I was told that I could replace my front strut 'cartridges' as opposed to replacing the entire strut. By removing the black plastic cap centered on top of the housing there is one nut to remove to access the 'cartridge'. For those that a familiar with the front suspension of first-gens I would like your opinion on this DIY fix. Is 'cartridge' the proper term and are there any special purchase guidlines?

1995 Intrepid ES
3.3L

#2 ·
you have to replace the hole assembly.. I think. Some cars you can replace the cartridge(VW's etc). What your talking about is the strut. On VW's you can actually disconnect the cartridge from the are where the spring sits our cars you cannot. Not really any special guidelines; you have to rent a spring compressor and be careful doing the fronts as they are under more pressure and are bigger springs than the back. You might want to replace the strut mounts also because they are probably trashed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.