DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

code 43 & 72

565 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  k-nash 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, i have 96 intrepid w/ 3.5l, bout a month ago i got a code 72 and from everything i read it's just a catalic coverter issue. which i am in no hurry to spend $ to fix catalitic coverter. so i reset the codes.

yesterday, check engine light came on and this time i got a 43 & 72. so i reset the computer and got the same codes as soon as i started it back up. also, while driving, you can feel a subtle spit/spudder or subtle herky jerk. i know what the 72 is, and from what i have read the 43 can be plugs, wires, or coil pack.

so what i need is some advice on what i can check before i spend alot of $ on wires and coil pack. and w/ my luck, it will be neither.

so if anyone can tell me some easy diagnosis tips, that would help a bunch.

also i read that you can take your vehicle to autozone to have them diagnosis the codes further. if this is true, what do i need to ask them when i go in? one more thing, the code 72 catalic cov issue, in my mind is not something i need to replace ASAP. am i correct in thinking this or should i get to gettin that replaced also.

thanks again for all the help and advice.

See less See more
#3 ·
ok, plugs and wires i can check.

next question.

do i have to take off the the intake manifold (i think thats what it's called) in order to replace the plug wires? if so, any suggestions/ideas how to take it off? never done that before.

thanks again

#4 ·
plug wire replacement

You don't have to completely remove the plenum, just loosen it so you can rock it back & forth.

If you remove the bolts(one at a time) & then screw them back in just a turn or 2, you'll have plenty of slop room to snake the wires in & out, and not to have the PITA lining up the gasket if you removed it completely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.