DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Shuttering prob.

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  dodgerunner 
#1 ·
Ok, this may be related to my misfiring #5, not sure. Yesterday my 97 trep 3.5 started like, well, not sure how to describe it. Kinda like a wobbling shaft, out of balance type of wobble. This happens around 25MPH or so and up. This happened to my wife so I myself haven't had it out above 35 so I cant say what it does above that. The roads were all snowy today so while I was going down a baron street I revved it to make the tires spin so I could get it up to about 35-40MPH and it was still there. My first thoughts was the CV but I just had the whole damn thing replaced about 2 months ago (turns out that wasn't the part so a couple hundred wasted, anyway). Nothing different when going over bumps etc etc just while driving, also while in gear, or drive anyway, sounds as if something is "loose" maybe but its not like tranny slippage or anything. Wondering if all this has to do with my misfiring #5, O2s, #5 totally out (plug-wire-coil)??? Going to take to my parents garage tomorrow so I wont have access to my PC to check on this post so ASAP would be great! Thanks guys!

#8 ·
spfrosty said:
Ok, just stopped by the PC for a second. Well folks, I just pulled spark plug #1 and guess WTF I found, FULL of oil! What the hell does that indicate??????? :crying:
Was the oil in the spark plug hole or was it in the cylinder itself? If it was in ithe spark plug hole, it means that you have a leak on the valve cover gasket around the spark plug hole. If it is in the cylinder, you have other problems.

#9 ·
txz28 said:
Was the oil in the spark plug hole or was it in the cylinder itself? If it was in ithe spark plug hole, it means that you have a leak on the valve cover gasket around the spark plug hole. If it is in the cylinder, you have other problems.
Sorry I didnt reply before now. Just got back home. Well as it turns out the oil seems to be just in the hole, not the cylinder, whew!!!!! The front valve cover bolts were all loose, so I guess I might as well change those as well as new wires and plugs (of course). Anything else???

Ok, so back to my problem of this thing seeming to shake or shutter. Since the original CIL was for a #5 misfire and the finding of this oil in #1 I am wondering if this could be the reason for this to shake (since they are both on the same bank)?

#10 ·
ok, well....new plugs & wires, new PCV and hose, all new spark plug o-rings, practically all new front end (tie rods, sway links, CV shaft and bearing pass. side, ball joints, rack.....THIS F*CKING thing STILL shakes!!!!!! I had a guy help me and we put the front in the air blocked the back tires and put it in gear..well he says it looks as though the splines act shot where the shaft goes into the tranny or the gears are going....when the shaking starts the drivers tire stops spinning. ANY IDEAS???? Ideas for a better tranny if that's what it comes to???

#11 ·
From all the symptoms you listed, these are my guesses..

tire outta balance..
warped rotor..
internally f'd up transmission..

that last *when the shaking starts the tire stopps spinning* leads me to believe the 3rd one..

good luck with that man..

#12 ·
Veeb0rg said:
From all the symptoms you listed, these are my guesses..

tire outta balance..
warped rotor..
internally f'd up transmission..

that last *when the shaking starts the tire stopps spinning* leads me to believe the 3rd one..

good luck with that man..
Thanks Vee. Thats what I was afraid of.. I thought that but was really wishing there was hope for a less $$ cause.

With that, whats a great tranny to put in these? Are they hard to change? You know, the usual questions.

#17 ·
If your harmonic balancer (crank pulley) shows even the slightest wobble, get it replaced. I just did mine with a new one from the dealer for $65. If it wobbles at all, the rubber bushings that seperate the center hub from the outer pulley is bad. It is called a harmonic balancer for a reason - to balance out the rotational mass from the crankshaft. If it wobbles, then its like spinning a wheel out of balance and it will cause a vibration in the drive train.

#18 ·
Ok, it starts at 25 or above, if you step on the gas some does it continue or get less.
I had the same thing happening. Feels like the front of the car is jumping up and down really bad? The dealer told me there was a prom upgrade to the TCM that changed the TCC value to prevent the TCC from locking and unlocking. They put the change in and my car seemed to run better for several weeks.
The problem then came back even worse. Another check by the deal and two other trans shops of the TCM values indicated that the shift pressures where off in the tran. and the only fix is a rebuild. Had a non dealer shop (recommended) do the rebuild. Next day did the same thing. The shop stayed at it figured it was a TCM problem, maybe power. After two days they found the TCM was bad. Believe it was a bad solider joint. Replace it with a rebuilt and has run fine ever since. (5 yrs)

What's this mean? Maybe your could be TCC software, maybe could be bad TCM, maybe power to the TCM, maybe not transmission at all.

I know not much help, but something to think about.

Then late last year and early this year started to get missfire on cyl 3. Kept getting worse. Bottom line the trans shop did not put the heater pipe behind the engine back and it had rubbed thru the harness and was shorting one of two injectors to ground which makes them flow max fuel. Want to see a car run gas out the tail pipe. Took me a week to find the problem but I now know my engine very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.