DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Bad Fumes!!***

663 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dodgerunner 
#1 ·
1 out of 5 stops for more than 20sec, say at a street light with the engine running, i start smelling gas and exhaust fumes, this is very bad, whats wrong with my baby??? 97

#4 ·
you see no smoke, but its a heavy set smell of gas and or exhaust, but less exhaust, since i love that smell, my dad rode in it with me the other day to go somewhere, and said im going to take it off the road unless you fix it, he's convinced its the cold air intake i put in instead of the factory box, but that cant be, whats the problem here, he also said its methane gas, but isnt that **** odorless?

#6 ·
Is this something new that has happened since it has got colder? Often if your cat. converter is working well you will get a sulfuric acid smell that does smell like sewer. This is often normal.

If this is something new, it could mean something has changed and your cat is working harder to clean up your exhaust. Have you checked for any codes?
Has gas mileage gone down? (other than it does this time of year since the gas is crappier winter mix, which could be a reason also)
Is your engine running normal?

#7 ·
i get a slight shake every once n awhile from engine idle, my guess is my mpg is lasting longer than normal, but it also might be the wayh i drive, but since the smell has come, i lost 1/2 a tank in 2 days, w/outleaks, just a decent amount of driving each day, and 1/2 a tank is bad, it doesnt smell like ass, it smells like gas, the gas the car runs off of, but i dont know

#8 ·
OK, then it sound like your running rich or the like.
First thing I would do is a fuel pressure check. Not sure on your year, but the fuel pressure should run around 40 psi or so. Hook a gauge on the test port of the fuel rail and cycle the key one and off. This should pressurize the fuel system to around 40-45psi. With the key off the pressure should hold at that value for a fair amount of time or drop very slowly. Mine usually holds 35-40 psi for nearly 10 min. If it leaks off in a min. or two it could be a good indicator that you have a leaking or sticking injector.

This is the first test I would try. If you don't have a pressure gauge you might be able to find a parts store that will let you borrow one.

One other question, do you know if the transmission has been worked on. Mine was and that caused a injector problem on my car. Story is posted on forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.