DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Uh oh?

822 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  94_Concorde 
#1 ·
So I'm the proud owner of a newly used 96 intrepid. I thought it had a RKE in it but was just missing the remote so I picked one up on ebay and proceded to try programing it following <a href="http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32429">these</a> directions.

My DLC is at a funny angle so I couldn't really see it well, after trying to ground the first pin it didn't seem to do anything, and didn't look like there was a connector there at all, so I stupidly thought I'd try the first one that actually looked like it had a connection. Nothing seemed to happen so we shrugged and decided to get a hold of the dealer and see if it even has RKE.

That's a pic of my DLC, can anyone tell if I've got a RKE be lookin at it?

Anyhow, down to the bad part of the post, it would seem that after my messing around, the power locks and interior lights won't come on unless the engine is started, and if left for more than about 10 minutes with the engine off the radio and clock lose all their memory and need to be set again. Did I pop a fuse or something? or did I accidently change some settings somewhere. Help! Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
k-nash said:
It is easy to see if you have RKE, if you pop off the top cover on the dash board, on the passenger side you will see the RKE module.(if you have it)
Wouldn't the passanger airbag be in the way? I think I'll pick up a chilton book and dig into it. There seemed to be a box with a lose wire hanging down from it next to the DLC that my brother thought was the RKE, maybe it's a disconnected alarm?

k-nash said:
As for your other problem, did you have the mentioned problems before you grounded out the pin? You may have damaged the BCM.
No all of that was working fine before I played with it. Though oddly the power windows still work they way they used to.

#6 ·
Giza said:
Wouldn't the passanger airbag be in the way? I think I'll pick up a chilton book and dig into it. There seemed to be a box with a lose wire hanging down from it next to the DLC that my brother thought was the RKE, maybe it's a disconnected alarm?

No all of that was working fine before I played with it. Though oddly the power windows still work they way they used to.
The top cover of the instrument panel (dashboard) is that black cover near the front of the windshield, the air bag has no bearing on the top cover.
the cover pops off quite easy with a big flat blade screw driver to pry the panel up.

That loose wire you talk about is not for the alarm, that is built into the BCM.

The power windows still working fine doesn't surpirise me, the BCM does not control them.

#7 ·
The top cover of the instrument panel (dashboard) is that black cover near the front of the windshield, the air bag has no bearing on the top cover.
Alright, thanks. I'll take a look.

Now as to the BCM, is there any way to reset it? Should I just replace it and hope that was the problem? Or are there a few fuses I should try checking first?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

#8 ·
You could try disconnecting the battery for at least 5 min, but I kinda doubt that will fix it. I don't know of any fuses that could be related, but maybe someone else will chime in on that.

I have a base BCM that I could part with, but If you have the OTIS,ATC,or factory alarm then you need the premimum BCM,I only have an extra base one.

BTW OTIS=overhead travel info system
ATC=automatic temp control

G
#10 ·
I grounded that pin as well and I thought I fried my BCM/PCM, but it's the FUSE that blew.
Check it. Look into interior fuses, I forgot which number fuse I blew. Thank God it was only a fuse.
Funny thing is, I blew it the same way you did.. programming the RKE. :)
I think all first Gens have to have it programmed thru the Traction control switch wires.

G
#12 ·
Slightly OFF TOPIC.. but still...

Told Ya! :bigok:

Merry Christmass and Happy New Year.

I am in Germany, BTW right now.
I am trying to rip up the Autobahn, but keyword here is "trying", sadly not in my 3.5L Corde.

I will take lotsa pics. I already saw a "Chrysler Vision" and it amazed me, it has "Halo effect" lights when fogs are on. It didn't look modified or anything.
God, I have to get out there with meine Digital Kamera, Ja?

I will also be going to the DaimlerChrysler Museum, .. bitte warten!

Slightly Off Topic though. :)

#13 ·
JE.Electronics said:
I think all first Gens have to have it programmed thru the Traction control switch wires.
Nope... it is just as k-nash said...
k-nash said:
that is on the 93-95 with the OBD I
The OBD I (93-95) systems were trac control connector like my car, the OBD II (96-97) systems were in the data link connector. For second gens they got an easier programming mode using the key and the fob, I believe, to program the remotes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.