DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

a lot of raw gasoline fumes under the hood

873 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jedgxe 
#1 · (Edited)
96 trepid 3.5l, i think one of my fuel rails is rotted or cracked. is this under recall even if the recall has been done?

#3 ·
it says no incomplete recalls but i got a puddle of gas (i think its gas) in front of the middle injector passanger side

#5 · (Edited)
the metal fuel rail is wet with gas. how would i check the injectors? maybe using a little more gas than normal

edit. i looked again. drivers side rear fuel injector is squirting gas all over itself. looks like thats the problem.

#6 ·
ok i had 2 fuel injectors that were leaking. so i went to my friends boneyard and bought the fuelrails with the injectors for $30. of course we had to take them off knee deep in snow. we put it on my car. but not b4 i warmed the engine first. after all, the high was 18 degrees farenheit. while i was at it i replaced the fuel rail gaskets. smart move because i had big chunks of that gasket missing. gasket set felpro number available. no more chuggy idle. accelloration is smooth as glass. from start at the junkyard to finish was 4 hours. not bad..only problem was my beer got too cold to drink. :) :)

#7 ·
Take it to the dealer

I had the same problem last spring with my '96 LHS (110,000 miles on it at the time). I checked and the fuel rail recall had been done when the previous owner had it. I figured the o-rings were bad again and was going to replace them myself. I went to the dealer to buy the parts and the parts guy said I should talk to the service manager about the recall even though it had been done already. I never considered that because of the age and miles on the car- I figured it was just my responsibility. Anyway, I did go see the service manager. He told me I should let them look at it and it would cost $50 for them to check it out but if the recall needed to be done again it would be repaired at no cost to me. If it was something else the $50 would be applied to the cost of whatever other repairs needed to be made. I said okay and left the car with them. He called me later that day and told me that the right side fuel rail (recall item) fell apart when the mechnic was tracking down the problem. They had ordered the new fuel rail but it would be two or three days before they would get it and be able to put it in. I thanked him and told him to call when it was done. As promised, three days later I picked the car up and the problem was fixed. No cost whatsoever to me, not even the $50. They were very courteous and treated me just like someone who was paying for work to be done. The parts and service departments at Sabraton Chrysler in Morgantown, WV are definately first rate in my opinion and I sent Chrysler an email to let them know this. 5 Star for sure!
My suggestion is this- don't do anything yourself. Take it to a reputable Chrysler service department and let them check it. It may be worth the $50 even if your situation is different than mine was. Good luck.

#11 ·
pdr51 said:
I had the same problem last spring with my '96 LHS (110,000 miles on it at the time). I checked and the fuel rail recall had been done when the previous owner had it. I figured the o-rings were bad again and was going to replace them myself. I went to the dealer to buy the parts and the parts guy said I should talk to the service manager about the recall even though it had been done already. I never considered that because of the age and miles on the car- I figured it was just my responsibility. Anyway, I did go see the service manager. He told me I should let them look at it and it would cost $50 for them to check it out but if the recall needed to be done again it would be repaired at no cost to me. If it was something else the $50 would be applied to the cost of whatever other repairs needed to be made. I said okay and left the car with them. He called me later that day and told me that the right side fuel rail (recall item) fell apart when the mechnic was tracking down the problem. They had ordered the new fuel rail but it would be two or three days before they would get it and be able to put it in. I thanked him and told him to call when it was done. As promised, three days later I picked the car up and the problem was fixed. No cost whatsoever to me, not even the $50. They were very courteous and treated me just like someone who was paying for work to be done. The parts and service departments at Sabraton Chrysler in Morgantown, WV are definately first rate in my opinion and I sent Chrysler an email to let them know this. 5 Star for sure!
My suggestion is this- don't do anything yourself. Take it to a reputable Chrysler service department and let them check it. It may be worth the $50 even if your situation is different than mine was. Good luck.
I have a dealer near me that I also consider 5 star. In 2002 I had the driver's seat recall done. The service manager told me to hang on to the recall notice after they did the work, because it would be good for any future trouble with the seat frame cracking. He also told me that if I had replaced the seat prior to receiving the notice, I should mail a copy of the reciept to Chrysler and they would re-imburse me. I did in fact have a receipt for a $225 bone yard seat. 6 days after I mailed it in, I got a check from Chrysler for $225. If anybody has a recall issue of any kind, even if the recall was previously done,go directly to the dealer , do not bother doing it yourself. But keep in mind that because our cars are getting old, the won't always have the parts in stock and you may have to wait a few days for parts. A short wait is well worth it to get NEW parts.

#12 ·
so i think my seat frame is cracked. i took the power seat from a 93 ES but my car is a 96 non-ES. do i still take it to the dealer for recall?

#13 ·
jackc396 said:
so i think my seat frame is cracked. i took the power seat from a 93 ES but my car is a 96 non-ES. do i still take it to the dealer for recall?
I don't know what other years besides '94 were included in the seat recall. if '96 was included , I would certainly ask at the local Dodge dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.