DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Mounting a Cherry Bomb/Glass Pack

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  BOSS B 
#1 ·
Well, I was at auto zone today looking for weather stripping (which they didnt end up having), and I asked if they had a cherry bomb. Well they had one for my intrepid, so he brought it out. We couldnt figure out how it mounted though. It had a flat mount on one end that looked like it might mount directly to the end of the header? Is this right? If I do install the glasspack at the end of the header is this going to hurt my motor at all in regards to back pressure? Am I going to see a performance increase or decrease?

Exactly how much work is it to mount this unit and how much will it cost to get it done? I'm also considering getting a different exhaust tip for my car, but I would have to cut off the resonator. I believe I've heard contradicting oppinions on whether cutting the resonator off is a good idea.. ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really wanting to put one of these on, but at the same time I'm really concerned about doing it right.

Thanks!

-Brandon

:smiley_aa

See less See more
#2 ·
2 more questions. If I do install it right off the header, will I need a new exhaust system afterwards? My dad thought you had to replace everything because the pipes would be so rotted and worn out that they couldnt be reused..

Also are these a direct fit? I know the exhaust webs itself around everything underneath the car, so I'm wondering if this 25-30" solid cherry bomb will fit directly or if I'd need to alter it...

Thanks,

-Brandon

#3 ·
you're referring to a glass-pack, the bright red, long and cylindrical one......... have you looked underneath the car yet? don't know how you'd go about putting it under there, considering one end is designed to connect to the header..... probably have to weld a matching end like the cherry bomb's on the end of the cat, or don't waste your money on it, pay a little more and get a flowmaster at pep boys

#4 ·
Apcsox said:
you're referring to a glass-pack, the bright red, long and cylindrical one......... have you looked underneath the car yet? don't know how you'd go about putting it under there, considering one end is designed to connect to the header..... probably have to weld a matching end like the cherry bomb's on the end of the cat, or don't waste your money on it, pay a little more and get a flowmaster at pep boys

Tell me something I dont know or didnt mention above!

-Brandon

#5 ·
well, sorry... just saying, you'd probably have to connect a mating end, which, doesn't exist past the catalytic converter, which you cannot remove! no need to get pissed about it...... you'd see a performance increase if you'd coupled it with a custom exhaust system, removing the resonator won't do anything for performance, and obviously you'd be looking at replacing the entire exhaust system in the process of installing a glass pack anyways, which you'd need custom made becuase there aren't any drop ins (or push ups I should say) for our cars

#6 ·
Apcsox said:
well, sorry... just saying, you'd probably have to connect a mating end, which, doesn't exist past the catalytic converter, which you cannot remove! no need to get pissed about it...... you'd see a performance increase if you'd coupled it with a custom exhaust system, removing the resonator won't do anything for performance, and obviously you'd be looking at replacing the entire exhaust system in the process of installing a glass pack anyways, which you'd need custom made becuase there aren't any drop ins (or push ups I should say) for our cars

I wasnt mad, I was just saying you basically repeated things I already said. Anyways I thought about connecting a mating end if they made a pipe for it. I know I cannot remove the cat converter without having back pressure issues.

I wasnt asking about performance increase by removing the resonator, but by putting in a glass pack (the topic of this thread).

-Brandon

#7 ·
a custom freer flowing exhaust would give performance gains

#9 ·
glasspacks are mufflers, a in and a out ,it dosent matter where you mount it,just run it like a regular muffler inline anywhere after the manifolds will work ,keep in mind the shorter the pipe the louder it will be ,what i used to do is soak the entire glass pack in water for a day then let it dry out good before the install ,when you first fire it up it will blow out alot of the fiberglass and gives them a better throatier sound but it bascally ruins the muffling properties,but the sound is worth it ,this is what i would do on my old school v8's and I6's it sounds crazy but it works,I thik now you can buy glass packs with removable baffles? im not sure

#10 ·
these cherrybombs are loud and have poor reviews.

tell me how it goes btw.!

#12 ·
a 6 banger with a glass pack is gonna sound like a weedeater on crack. But... it mounts like any other header muffler... a 3 bolt flange with gasket. Unless yur exhaust manifold mates to that, you will need to make it fit. if yur dead set on installing it, buy it, then go to a custom muffler shop with a wad of cash and have em do it. They also have glass packs that are inline mufflers.. remove your muffler and insert the new one. You may need to resize the pipes to match the inlet and outlet. Either way yur looking at going to a shop that deals in that sorta thing, unless you getto hack it with flex pipe and u bolt clamps.

#13 ·
I got a '93 and i just started working at autozone...
i want to put a cherry bomb/glass pack and the cherry bomb turbo muffler...it can be done pretty easily right???...

Ive never seen any 1st gens with the cherrybombs on it i tried to lissen to tha sound clip but it was so old that it wasnt even there any more...

#17 ·
dammit chewie!!!ive been looking in your sig thread for about 30minutes...from page 1 and im only at page 8...and i skipped about 2...shyt is too interesting...you happen to know whether its earlier or later??...

o,yea sounds sweet at gearhead...youve sold me...

i wish we had dual pipes tho...that would be sweet!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.