DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

bouncing @ 30MPH!!!

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Hat Trick | Mafioso 
#1 · (Edited)
At 30MPH, specially when light braking, the car seems to frikin hop up and down, from um, i'd say from 40 down to about 30mph.. the tires are fine... I tried to replace the inner tie rods, and couldn't do it 100% (probably did it about 90%, I can't figure out how to get any tools down there) anyways, is that the reason for my problems, or is it something else?
please help!
thanks..

#4 · (Edited)
~98,000 miles on the car.. my problem is that i also have a small-leaking power steering problem (I don't know from where, I don't know where the fluid travels), and every now and then I gotta get my hands down and tighten the bolt as much as i can.. the 2 clamps that are supposed to hold the bolt down, well, only one of them is down.. I couldn't figure out how to get in there with a tool (ie: position,view, etc) to tighten them down with enough force and to squeeze the 2 tabs together..
also, it's not that it always bounces.. it's that it only bouncing when I slow down at those speeds

#5 ·
Try removing the wiper cowl, you may be able to get better access to the bolts. On my 3.3L, it was a pain to replace, but I was able to get it done. I found that turning the wheel all the way to the right helped expose the bolts somewhat. You can get at them a bit easier from the passenger side of the engine bay. If you have a 3.5L, I heard the best way to do it is remove the plenum...
98k miles...shocks and struts are gettin old but shouldn't be shot just yet..when you slow down does it bounce slowly up and down? Just from the front or the whole car?

#6 ·
My car had this problem and it turned out to be the inner tie rod bushing. It was completely gone and the car waddled around like crazy, especially around 30-40.

When you say you replaced them 90%, what do you mean? That's not a part of the car you want to be "90%"! I took mine to a shop and they replaced both bushings for $100 including parts.

#7 ·
The 2 bolts that attach the inner tie rods to the rack should be torqued to 55 ft/lbs. To bend the tabs turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and use a long steel rod or pry bar and tap it with a hammer (don't bash the crap out of it.) put car on jack stands to get the bottom tabs. 90% is unacceptable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.