DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Starting Problem

970 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ptatsoc 
#1 ·
My 96 floor shift has begun to not want to start all of the time. Sometimes it doesn't crank, sometimes it cranks like once, but doesn't start, sometimes it starts right up. Does this at all temps/times. I think it's the neutral safey switch, because if I pull on the shifter just right it cranks and starts just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? If so are there any tricks to replacing/adjusting the switch?

#2 ·
I would think that if you can move the shifter and it starts you are right about the netural saftey switch. You can download a free repair manual for this website and that will give you a better idea of whats involved. At least then you woun't get started on a project that is over your skill level, or take it to the shop for something that you can do yourself. here is the link to the repair manual. http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/manuals/1g/LHS_manual.rar

#5 ·
the "neutral safety switch" function is handled by the MVLPS manual valve lever position sensor. It's inside the trans above the valve body. I'd make damn sure the MVLPS is the problem before tearing apart the trans. Have you tried starting it in neutral??? It could be you just need your shifter cable adjusted.

#6 ·
Does the same when starting in neutral, never seems to be the same twice though. Sometimes I pull the shifter and it'll start, sometimes I push it and it'll start, sometimes neither works and I have to try multiple times. Also, think it could possibly be my ignition switch? Maybe I'm just throwing out guesses.

#7 ·
Haze96 said:
Does the same when starting in neutral, never seems to be the same twice though. Sometimes I pull the shifter and it'll start, sometimes I push it and it'll start, sometimes neither works and I have to try multiple times. Also, think it could possibly be my ignition switch? Maybe I'm just throwing out guesses.
When it fails to crank, does the starter at least click, or is there absolutely no response at all???

#10 ·
if you remove your starter relay, you can touch a jumper wire between the terminals B and D. This will create a direct connection to starter solenoid (bypassing the key, MVLPS, and PCM)and should make your starter get cranking (leave your key off to prevent engine from actually starting). If starter responds like normal ,then your starter is ok. You can also connect a test light to terminals A and C. Turn your key to start , test light should light up any time that the key is in start position. If it lights up like it should, then your Key switch,MVLPS,and PCM are all good. IF both tests are good then you probably have a bad relay. The starter relay is in the power distribution center, Terminal A is the one toward the drivers side, B is toward the front,C is toward passenger side, D is toward the back. If the A and C test fails then you got more checking to do. On the list of fun things to do replacing the MVLPS comes in at the very end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.