DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

REALLY bad mpg

764 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mass04 
#1 ·
I have a 94 w/ a 3.5 that had the tranny rebuilt 8 months ago. Before the winter, I was getting about 15-16 mpg in town... and now with it being so cold I'm getting only 11 mpg. What are you all getting in the cold weather?

Also noticed whenever it's freezing sometimes the tranny shifts really rough. Scared the crap out of me the other day when I was at a stop sign and it downshifted to first.. the whole front end just lurched forward... don't know if the tranny is just screwed up or if it's the weather.

#2 ·
it's the weather, but when was the alst tiem the tranny and differential fluid were changed, couldn't hurt..... my mpg went from 27 down to 17 in less than two weeks, and it now hovers around 20, that's winter gas and weather for ya

#3 ·
Apcsox said:
it's the weather, but when was the alst tiem the tranny and differential fluid were changed, couldn't hurt..... my mpg went from 27 down to 17 in less than two weeks, and it now hovers around 20, that's winter gas and weather for ya
I've never changed the tranny fluid. The shop told me not to. The tranny was rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago. Haven't changed the differential fluid either.

#4 ·
I think one of the main problems that you are having the the winter gas they mix it differently, and also you have to remember that you are consuming gas when you are warming it up but not putting miles on the car so that also makes it seem like you are getting worse.

#5 · (Edited)
If your transmission is shifting funny, I would have it rechecked if it was rebuilt. You should have a warrenty yet. Don't let it go until it's to late. If it's jumping that bad that's not normal. Was it worked on this spring IE after the cold was over and this is the first you have had it since it has got cold?

Sounds like a valve slow switching when it is cold or something.

As far as mileage, could be......
Transmission. Is your torque convertor locking up?

Do you make a lot of short trips.
Is your engine temp getting up to normal? If is does not get up to temp you can use a lot of gas.

O2's getting weak. Does not make a big difference but can some.

Tire pressure?

Leaking injector(s)? Do a pressure leak test.

Was the transmission pulled and put back in. When mine was done they did not put a heater tube and braket back and it rubbed thru the wire harness and shorted one or two injectors to ground which kept them running full time. Talk about bad mpg. I have a post on it if you do a search.

Or just crappy winter gas. You can count on a couple mpg less in the winter.

#6 ·
Check your rear transmission mount. My LHS was doing the same "lurch" slowing to a stop as it shifted down to 1st. Come to find out, the rubber core in the trans mount had completely separated from the mount assembly. It's easy to check. get the car up in the air enough to get under it (a lift works best) and look from the rear of the car towards the front up at the back of the transmission. That's your rear mount. if you look at it from the side, the rubber inside of it should be one solid block... no cracks, splits, whatever. It made a huge difference on mine. The car is a ton quieter and more smooth especially on the highway where i had just gotten used to a "growl" that I thought was just how the engine/trans were suppose to sound.
Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.