DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

RMP failure

621 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  froggy81500 
#1 ·
Hi.

I have a 1997 Vision 3,5. One morning a week agi I started the Car up and the RMP went up to 5000, even the engine was idleing as usual...

Is it the crank sensor, or is the rmp unit bad?

#4 ·
Hallmar said:
Hey Guy´s. After a half hour of driving the rmp meter comes normal again. I took a short stop and the went up to 5000 on startup as before...
Question: is it cold where you are? I've seen gauges malfunction in cold weather. I have experienced this with an aftermarket tach (rpm gauge) where when it would get really cold outside it would seem to get stuck at a certain rpm until it thawed out, then it worked correctly. If your engine is idling at its normal speed, then I would suspect the gauge is malfunctioning.

#5 ·
not to be a wise ass but is this rpm we are talking about. Revolutions per minute. If it is then it could be many things but start with ACR's suggestions check for vacuum leaks and anything that may be disconnected. Maybe the throttle linkage is frozen and gets stuck. Start with basics before you start replacing sensors.

#6 ·
mass04 said:
not to be a wise ass but is this rpm we are talking about. Revolutions per minute. If it is then it could be many things but start with ACR's suggestions check for vacuum leaks and anything that may be disconnected. Maybe the throttle linkage is frozen and gets stuck. Start with basics before you start replacing sensors.
wow, that would be one hell of a vacuum leak if the engine is turning 5000 rpm's!!! Besides he stated the engine is idling normal. I still think its an issue with the gauge and/or wiring to it.

#7 ·
thanks for your advise

You have all been very helpful, not sure how I can ever thank you..

I removed the gauge cover and then i put it back in place. Then I started the car and the needle went strait up to 5000 as usual.... I took a cable and a hairdryer with me and tried to warm up the gauge, and suprize suprize, the needle went down to 800-850 where it was used to be.

So now i have to buy a new gauge. Do you Guy´s know where I can find it without buying the whole unit?

and again.. Thanks ;)

PS I live in Iceland ( Yes Iceland the little island between the US and Europe ) only 250.000 immigrents and the dealer sucks they don´t have any computers or code readers so when my tranny broke down last spring i had to use a Hyundai analyser to get the code ( 3 gear was broken )

#8 ·
Glad you figured what the problem is. Well, I don't know what the situation is like in Iceland as far as used auto parts go, like junk yards. I suppose if there are junk yards you could look there for another instrument panel. Also, you might have some luck on Ebay. I'm not too familiar with the panel and I don't know if individual gauges can be replaced. I kinda think the whole panel would have to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.