DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Do you use wire loom on your spark plugs wires?

• Yes

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • No, don't feel its all that necessary

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Partially, just around the few that touch the thermostat housing

Votes: 1 4.5%

Spark Plug Wire Loom - POLL

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  biniecki 
#1 ·
How many of you guys run wire loom on your plug wires?

#5 ·
regards last post, i just put new bosh wires on as well. i fought with the loom from the oem's to the new ones till i figured it out. if you open the end of the loom up just a bit and start the beginning of the loom about half way down the wire, and just get it started there (yes this part is painful)-you then just start pulling that beginning up the wire to the boot end and the whole thing will zip right in as you pull it up. so, i used em.

#6 ·
I re-used my originals on my 3.3. I believe their purpose is to protect the wires from heat. The 3.3 only had them on the 3 wires that go around the back to the passenger side, an area where the wires can rest on hot metal.

#7 ·
I bought new loom for elect wiring that is split down the middle. Its the same size as the plug wires. I used zip ties every 12" or so and it works like a charm. You must use it since the wires will get very hot rubbing up under the plenum. The 3.5L is notorious for wearing out plug wires at this location.

#8 ·
loom just for the look, some red

#10 ·
Big3 said:
I bought new loom for elect wiring that is split down the middle. Its the same size as the plug wires. I used zip ties every 12" or so and it works like a charm. You must use it since the wires will get very hot rubbing up under the plenum. The 3.5L is notorious for wearing out plug wires at this location.
That makes no sense whatsoever because if it's going to get hot enough to damage spark plug wires, It would melt through the wire loom in no time. If you guys are concerned with your wires rubbing places they arent supposed to, get some sort of harnesses for them so you can space them and route them as you see fit. Dont waste time with the loom unless you like the look.

#11 ·
a philadelphia sox fan.......?
as noted, i put them back on because they were there and i figured it out after cutting up my fingertips. question is, if these did nothing, in todays sheer profit motive world and knowing the auto industry's penny pinching/corner cutting methods on generating/saving nickels that add up to big $$ on economies of scale, what would be the motive of DC in putting them there to begin with???

#12 ·
smeltjr said:
regards last post, i just put new bosh wires on as well. i fought with the loom from the oem's to the new ones till i figured it out. if you open the end of the loom up just a bit and start the beginning of the loom about half way down the wire, and just get it started there (yes this part is painful)-you then just start pulling that beginning up the wire to the boot end and the whole thing will zip right in as you pull it up. so, i used em.

I will defantely try your tip next time. Thanks.

I wonder also why the loom is there, but if they were there as original equipment I felt they must serve a purpose.

#13 ·
gazetowardthesky said:
That makes no sense whatsoever because if it's going to get hot enough to damage spark plug wires, It would melt through the wire loom in no time. If you guys are concerned with your wires rubbing places they arent supposed to, get some sort of harnesses for them so you can space them and route them as you see fit. Dont waste time with the loom unless you like the look.
The factory is not going to put them there unless they have a reason to (heat and abrasion). They didn't put them there for decoration. They can't even be seen under my hood due to their location. Make sense yet???

#14 ·
what heat resistance does a mm thick piece of plastic wire loom offer?

If the heat is enough to damage the wire, it will certainly melt right through the loom as well. I agree with the abrasion issue but belive it offers very limited protection as well. Do what you wish, but if you replace your wires at regular intervals, be sure to route them properly, and regluarly check them, loom is not necessary.

#16 ·
It wil help a lot. Also it helps with abrasion and added electrical insulation to keep interference down due to wires running so close together in parrallel. Anyone knows not to allow plug wires to run together while touching for any distance due to electrical conduction - causes cross interference with the other wire . The car came with the wires covered - I don't think Chrysler would have invested in the expense in covering six plug wires on a million cars unless it was for some reason. The heat will make them brittle, especially under the plenum in the confined space that they are routed through. My plug wires went bad after only a year or so - engine running rough due to one of the wires going bad. Also, the black cover over the 3.5L serves no function so I left mine off in order to get some air circulating under there and to keep heat dissapaited better. But maybe some people are better engineers than the manufacturer.

#17 ·
last time I did my tune up, got rid of the OEM ones because they got brittle and al ****-i-fied, repalce it with some pretty red loom, looks bitchin' now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.