DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Ehaust Question

735 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  nitemare 
#1 ·
My catalic converter is bad, my question is do I have to buy a new one or can I just cut it out and put a piece of pipe in its place? Any info would be gretly appreciated. Thank in advance

#5 ·
Kensher said:
I don't really care about the legal aspect of it I am just worried about losing and power by taking it out being that it has O2 sensors after the cat
You'll continually have the MIL illuminated because the PCM will see the cat as operating below the proper efficiency threshold. Other than that, it'll cause no driveability issues. If you're going to run your car illegally, at least make sure you dispose (recycle) of the cat properly.

#6 ·
dakrat said:
You'll continually have the MIL illuminated because the PCM will see the cat as operating below the proper efficiency threshold. Other than that, it'll cause no driveability issues. If you're going to run your car illegally, at least make sure you dispose (recycle) of the cat properly.
When you say the MIL are you refering to the check engine light?

#9 ·
IF you have O2 sensor after the cat the check engine light will come on. It will not be the best to remove only one cat. On the other side of the engine the cat stay there, so you engine will be unbalnaced on the exhaust flow.

#11 ·
Kensher said:
If I remove both of them I should be ok?
Well, no, then you'll just multiply any problems it may cause by two. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that performing any kind of modification to your exhaust might change the backpressure. Increasing or decreasing backpressure MAY cause minor EGR problems. You would probably be better off to leave the one good cat in place unless you're removing them for a performance application.

#13 ·
I don't know what wrong with this thread but if you remove one cat you need to remove the other on the other side to keep the exhaust flow balanced. It is very important for performance. Don't be worry with EGR problem or backpressure. I have custom set-up on my exhaust since 4 years and no problem with the EGR or the backpressure. What you can do for the performance is to removing the third cat ( the Y one) and install 2 high flow cat. That is a good set-up for the performance. No check engine by removing the third cat.

If you don't whant to make a new exhaust on your car you will need to install new cat that fit the OEM spec. Since you hown a 1997 car you have 4 O2 sensor. You need to have a good exhaust set-up that will prevent the check engine light on. For performance you need to run the engine without the check engine on.

#14 ·
on my 96 there was 1 cat. daul in and single out. I used a "Y" pipe normally used for running dauls on trucks .. worked fine.. (I also have been in the muffler biz for about 8 years.. no big deal for me). I have also ran 'TRUE' dauls on my buddys 97.. HOLY LOUD CRAP, BATMAN.. used 2" tubing and 4 (yes 4) glasspacks to shut the damn thing up.. still no mil light on either car..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.