DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

DIY Tranny Flush

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jfsram 
#1 ·
i will be doing this on a 96 es with atf+4-i want all the old stuff out. will do a pan drop and filter change and pump all out of torque converter with DIY method. have searched the threads and tried it on a604 minivan over a year ago. some questions and observations from other threads.

one user disconnected the cooler line at the TOP of the radiator to do this. in looking at the factory service manual. with the top outlet on the tranny being the return in line, and the bottom outlet on the tranny being the outflow line, the outflow (hot oil) line on my car goes to the TOP of the radiator. this would mean that this person was pumping out the from the tranny but never flushed through the radiator/cooler, no????? would this not leave about a quart of dirty fluid in that never got pumped out?

next, in looking at the factory service manual for procedure on "checking oil cooler flow" there is a procedure explained that sounds much like the DIY flush. it states to take of the RETURN line, route to a bucket, and run in neutral, and a quart should flow every 20 seconds-it states to never let go more than 1 quart low or internal damage may occur, fyi. but, it states to take off the return line at the TRANNY-not at the RADIATOR (or auxilliary factory cooler-mine has this). questions:
1. has anyone tried this by disconnecting at the tranny-it looks alot more accessible?
2. does anyone know the O.D. of the metal return line going to the tranny or the O.D. of the inlet nipple on the tranny?
3. i ask about the inlet nipple in number 2 above for one reason. when i did this on a minivan, as per allpar (and maybe i disconnected the wrong line), there was fluid flowing out the cooler line, which i had routed into a milk carton, AND flowing out the inlet nipple on the tranny-which i did not expect and it made a mess. anyone know why and has this happened to them on this car? could i safely plug the inlet nipple or does it have vaccum suction that could cause damage?
4. last, has anyone had to reset tcm or do relearn after changing fluid? on one minivan that dealer exchanged to atf+4, it started getting harsh shift down 4-3. he reset and did quick learn with drb and all better (that van, by the way went to 181K on original a604 tranny before sold in summer). this did not happen on other one i did myself-it was seamless.
thanks-sorry for babbling, i'm kinda anal about chrysler trannys.

See less See more
#3 ·
smeltjr said:
i'm kinda anal about chrysler trannys.
As you should be.

jfsram said:
Drop the pan and replace the filter. Don't overcomplicate things.
:werdsign:

I wouldn't bother with the flush, it's just too much extra work IMO. I changed the fluid on my 1G a handful of times and once already on my 2G. Ever since i had started taking care of my trannies they've served me well.

Just go to your local dealer, pick up the ATF+4, a mopar filter, and some mopar RTV for the tranny pan. (it's a specific RTV)

Retraining the computer after your done can't hurt anything, and is probably not a bad idea.

#4 ·
Don't be to worry about that tranny flush. Like it write in your service manual it should be the upper hose that the oil return to the tranny. If you don't whant to disconnect the oil cooler at the tranny it will not dramatical. Maybe the entire hose return hose ( radiator to tranny ) contain 100ml of old tranny oil. In the same time you will flush the torque converter you will make your test flow. Flush 3 liters by the return line and your torque converter will be flush. If I remember the oil cooler fitting on the radiator is 3/8 O.D.

#5 ·
I did a flush on my Ram this way.
As far as the radiator cooler they hold such a small amount of oil I would not worry about it. Most of them don't even hold a cup of oil.

I agree with the others. If you oil is not burnt or smells like it was hot, it's not really worth doing it....

#6 ·
One of my tranny cooler lines popped off and I left half the fluid on the road and the other half in a public parking lot. It was left for over 2 hours before I returned, giving it lots of time to drain. Refilled it to the brim and it's been fine ever since without any hiccups. Don't know if this helps you or not, just goes to show that you can let it drain totally and not suffer any large consequences.....

#7 ·
There is a reusable tranny pan gasket you get at the dealer for $28 (if you ask for the repeat customer 20% standard discount). This gasket is quite a nice piece of work - metal with a rubber bead. It can be re-used 3 times. DC says to change out the fluid from ATF+3 to ATF +4, empty oil by dropping the pan, change the filter, install and top off fluid, drive for 10 miles and repeat procedure (drop pan and refill fluid).

#8 ·
Big3 said:
There is a reusable tranny pan gasket you get at the dealer for $28 (if you ask for the repeat customer 20% standard discount). This gasket is quite a nice piece of work - metal with a rubber bead. It can be re-used 3 times. DC says to change out the fluid from ATF+3 to ATF +4, empty oil by dropping the pan, change the filter, install and top off fluid, drive for 10 miles and repeat procedure (drop pan and refill fluid).

Thats interesting. Thats the first time i've ever heard of a mopar pan gasket for these trannys

#9 ·
You need to keep up with the TSB's put out by DC. But even the dealer's parts mgr didn't know DC had a special re-usable gaskets for the 31TH, 41TE/AE and 42LE tranny's for 1989-2000 year models. They made these to facilitate changing the trans fluid from ATF+3 to ATF +4 due to the need to drop the pan twice. Be sure to use the correct torque (165 inch pounds). They are expensive if you pay list price. I ordered mine thru www.allchryslerparts.com and paid $28 plus a few bucks for shipping. Local dealer may come close if they give you their preferred customer 20% discount. List price is $40.60. It is made of steel with some special rubber bead like a head gasket would look like. Part # is 05011114AA for the 42LE trans (93 and up LH cars). When doing an online search on a dealer's website, drop the leading "0". Make sure to clean off the old RTV with a razor blade and a Scotch-Brite pad.

Here is the TSB:

A/T Pan Gasket - Reusable Design/Installation

NUMBER: 21-05-99 Rev. A

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Sep. 03, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-05-99 DATED MARCH 5, 1999 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTS AND MODEL COVERAGE.
SUBJECT:
Reusable Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Gasket

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin announces availability and installation of a reusable automatic transmission oil pan gasket.

MODELS:

1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron Sedan
1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon
**1989** - 1993 (AG) Daytona
**1989** - 1995 (AJ) LeBaron Coupe/LeBaron Convertible
**1989** - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Shadow Convertible/Sundance
1990 - 1991 (AQ) Chrysler Maserati TC
1989 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue
1993 - 1995 (ES) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon
1996 - **2000** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
1996 - **2000** (JX) Sebring Convertible
**1993 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/New Yorker/LHS/Vision/300M**
1996 - **2000** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
**1995 - 2000 (PL) Neon**
**1997 - 2000 (PR) Prowler**

DISCUSSION:

A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured RTV it is recommended that this gasket be used in all applications.
NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES.

PARTS REQUIRED:

**1 05011113AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 31TH**
**1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE**
1 05011115AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 41TE/AE

POLICY: INFORMATION ONLY

POLICY: Information Only

Installation Procedure
1. With oil pan removed from transmission case for routine service or transmission repair proceed to step # 2.

2. Clean any residue from oil pan and magnet.

3. Replace O-ring and filter on bottom of valve body.

4. Using a plastic or wooden scraper, remove old RTV from transmission case rails.

CAUTION: ALUMINUM COMPONENTS ARE VERY SUSCEPTABLE TO METAL TRANSFER WHEN OLD GASKET MATERIAL IS REMOVED FROM THEM. USE EXTREME CARE WHEN CLEANING THESE COMPONENTS.

5. Apply thin coat of transmission fluid to oil pan and transmission case pan rails.

6. Orient reusable gasket properly with bolt holes and assemble oil pan and gasket to transmission case. Tighten oil pan bolts to 19 Nm (165 in lbs.).

7. Refill transmission to the proper level with MOPAR ATF + 3 Type 7176, p/n 05010124AA, or MOPAR ATF +4 Type 9602, p/n 05013457AA, for 1999 JA/LH/PR vehicles.

CAUTION: DO NOT OVERFILL TRANSAXLE. DO NOT ADD OIL IF LEVEL IS BETWEEN: LOWER HOLES FOR WARM OIL (100°F). UPPER HOLES FOR HOT OIL (180°F.).

#12 ·
a606/a.k.a 42le (longitudinal engine) and a604/41te (transverse engine) are the names of the 4 speed electronically controlled devils that are in the intrepids and minivans as well as some other mopars (i ubderstand)-they are essentially the same beast. the original factory service specs have this pan put on using silicone. what you see about above is a service bulletin that chrysler created when they made a new pan gasket. i would guess the biggest pain in the ass for a dealer service tech doing one of these is scraping the damn pan and mounting on the trans when they do this. it has to get perfectly clean to work right. issue i had doing my first pan drop with rtv was having the front end up and fluid constantly dripping along the back of the trans and i could never get it to stick right. i use purolator filters that come with a rubber gasket and none have ever leaked-i am done scraping.
as i change the tranny fluid once a year in the minivan, hell or high water, regardless of mileage (usually 12-15K-will do on this as well), the reusable gasket would be useful to me-if it really works. but the dealership i usually get parts from was clueless everytime i asked and i have never remembered to bring a part number. he sells (most of the time, if you have the right parts guy) at dealer wholesale. atf +4 was $3.30 qt.
btw-did this last night and the return line at the tranny is not the easiest place for me to get to-rubber hose at cooler-so i did that. while under the car, discovered my cradle bushings and tranny mount are toast. will see if he will extend wholesale on those otherwise get em online-if i can clarify the correct part for my 96 es.

#13 ·
The 42LE is also known as an A606 tranny. Earlier models had a 41TE or A604 tranny. If your friend didn't know this I would not take my car to him for repairs as it is common knowledge to anyone who works on trannys. Use the gasket per the TSB, that is why Chry made it in order to change out the fluid more frequently. Read the TSB I posted and it wil say why Chrysler designed the gasket instead of RTV. RTV will work, Chrysler just wanted to make it more convenient for the dealerships to flush out the old ATF +3 since it would require at leat 2 fill and flushes after 10 miles, then drain and refills after every 30k miles or so. Plus, if you fill the tranny up before the RTV sets up sufficiently, it will react with the RTV and cause some type of 'foaming'.
About the A606/42LE and A601/41TE trannys:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/four-speed-automatics.html

#16 ·
whoa, i'll check out the possibility of the "byob" jugs. regards the gallon-they sell that BUT the retail on the quart is $4.10 and the retail on the gallon is $17.30. the gallon is more expensive and i had the parts guy scratching his head. FUZZY MATH??

#17 ·
They aren't supposed to sell the 'byob' fluids to customers (usually) but my parts manager is a young kid who is pretty nice about it. I bought the new gallon jugs for $15 ea about 6 months ago and use these for the refills when needed. You have to suggest that they give you a good deal cause you just spent $30k on a new truck so what is a few bucks for customer service. All dealers are able to knock off at least 20% on parts/supplies to their 'preferred' customers at the parts manager's descretion. One more thing, the one clerk told me to help myself to fill the jugs, then the manager stepped in and said he would do it for me. He then put the jug under this nozzle that looks like a slurpy machine and opened the valve. It has some air in it and sputtered all over his jacket. All I could do is thank him and recommend he get his jacket cleaned right away.

#18 ·
Big3 said:
The 42LE is also known as an A606 tranny. Earlier models had a 41TE or A604 tranny. If your friend didn't know this I would not take my car to him for repairs as it is common knowledge to anyone who works on trannys.
He made no mention of it not being a 42LE. It was this thread that referred to our transmissions as a 42LE and I was the one confused because my friend called it a 606.
It's clear now that a 42LE and a 606 and a A606 are the same.

It's my local Chrysler dealer that screwed things up for me.

I'll post the storey in another thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.