DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

strong gas smell

853 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  intrepid1994 
#1 ·
96 3.5 intrepid

after i drive it for a while, say home from work or back from the store, when i park it in the garage and close the garage up for awhile. when i go back in the garage, the garage reaks of gas. i know it's not anything else in the garage b/c it only smells after i park the intrepid and close it up.

i have let the car sit and found no fluid or trace of leaks on the floor. however, when i popped the hood yesterday and smelled by one of the spark plugs and it really smells of gas in that one spot. i smelled around the other plug areas and nothing.

any ideas what this could be? could it be a small leak in fuel rail maybe? if so what do i need to do? replace entire rail or is there a gasket or something?

thanks for the help

#2 ·
first try a to tighten your gas cap if tight you might want to replace it you can also check around the fuel rail but also check to see if you were part of recall but most of those were on 93's but i would check gas cap after looking at fuel rail also if you don't feel good about working on cars doing a fuel rail is not some place you want to start it can be bad news way to learn also not something you want to do in your garage for first time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.