DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

no start & engine shutdown anytime?

672 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  welder3 
#1 ·
my 97 intrepid sport 3.5l fails to start and quits at the most unopertuned times. leave it for 3-4hrs it will start after this occurance just like nothing is wrong. i have traced this down to a grounding problem but have no idea where to look. anyone with same problem know the answer would appreciate thanks welder3

#2 · (Edited)
When it dies, check to see if you ASD and FP relays are energizing when you turn on your key. That might give you a place to start at. Power to the ecm to close the relays comes from the ing. switch.
Could be a possible intermittant ingnition switch, common problems from what some say.
Also the PCM has to see a signal from the crank and cam sensors otherwise it drops out the ASD and FP relays.

One idea anyway.

#4 ·
intermittent no start anytimme

welder3 said:
my 97 intrepid sport 3.5l fails to start and quits at the most unopertuned times. leave it for 3-4hrs it will start after this occurance just like nothing is wrong. i have traced this down to a grounding problem but have no idea where to look. anyone with same problem know the answer would appreciate thanks welder3
thank you for your speedy replys i know the fuel pump doesnt work when this happens tried switching relays around as they are all the same, been to dealer 3 times no luck found if i removed ground from battery and forced a excellent connection via sheet metal screw or other would restart, therefore concluded grounding. will look into switch but so far was advised against it. thank you , every idea counts i love this car when it runs welder3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.