DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

A/C not working, help!!

630 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vinnie1069 
#1 ·
I just noticed yesterday that my a/c is not working. I havent used it so i didnt know. It worked perfectly until i threw the a/c belt about 2 months ago. After that i had the belt off for about a month, and then put on a new one. I just didnt use it because it has been cold. yesterday is the first hot day in a while. I did notice that a wire right on the top front of the compressor is now chafed because of the belt. could this be the reason? please dont tell me that it'll be a shitload in repairs, because if it is, i'll just take it out. Thanks, David

#2 ·
That wire is for the power to the clutch electromagnet. It is replaceable. Unfortuneately I don't know of any suppliers that will sell you only the coil. You will have to buy the entire clutch, about $80. If you can find one in a boneyard that would be great. A siezed compressor should still have a good clutch coil and is useless to the boneyard.

Simply remove the bolt at the center of the clutch and the clutch plate will come off. Be carefull here, there are small washers utilized to keep the seperation of the clutch plate and the pulley at approximately 30 thousands. The pulley is secured with a snap ring. As is the coil. Easy fix and can be done with the compressor still on the car.

#4 ·
Is there enough of the wire that you could solider onto it and insulate it?

Also check below the compressor where the ac lines run to the condensor in front of the radiator. There is a low pressure switch on the one line that has two wires to it. If they where damaged also could be part of the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.