DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

autostick display modification

687 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JE.Electronics 
#1 ·
I'd like the display for an autostick car to show the gear selected ALL THE TIME, not just when in manual mode.

Anybody done this yet? If not, I guess I'll see what can be done...........

#3 ·
Anybody have wiring diagrams for the autostick cluster?

I remember reading in ALLPAR that the original gear selector display used the available tranny outputs, and nothing much was added to make it work. Assuming that's correct, it should be possible to decode them to display gear selection. That's what the pcb on the autostick cluster probably does.

Again, if that's correct, to disable the 1-2-3-4 indicators, just the common power for those indicators would need to be shut off for them to be disabled.

I don't know if that's how it's engineered, but it's a common technique, and maybe it was done that way.

All I need now is some wiring diagrams for an autostick cluster!!

ANYBODY???

#4 · (Edited)
I think it is the TCM that sends that message to the BCM and then on to the instrument cluster all over the ccd bus wires. I am no expert but it would seem that the modification would have to be done to the TCM.

Good luck, I do admit that would be a cool mod.

Also the autostick cluster is just a printed circuit board, that has two plugs on it. Don't think there is a way to modify that without a degree.

#6 ·
It appears that the solution is simple, as long as you don't expect to use the indicators on the dash. The dash used with all but the earliest Intrepids is indeed controlled by commands using the CCD buss, and I don't have the tools or time to dig into that right now.

However I have another way!

Using the transmission pressure switches, the digital patterns can easily be used to determine what gear the tranny ACTUALLY is in. If there was a problem with the solenoid or hydraulic side of things, the selected gear and the decoded gear using the pressure switches would be different. That could be used to troubleshoot a tranny problem.

All I need to do now is breadboard a circuit to monitor those 3 lines and decode the output to a 7-segment display, making sure I have enough protection so the control solenoids that are electrically very close to the switches don't damage the logic.

Shouldn't take much to do, but alot of test time.

The only issue is that the decode for 1st gear is the same as park, reverse & neutral!

So, the display would show first gear except when it was in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear.

I can live with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.