DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Damn Cupholders!

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Big3 
#1 ·
I LOVE our cupholders. Over the summer I replaced them from being broken and had to buy the whole console because my yard wouldnt let me have just the cupholders. OH well, I got it in and working and was very excited. Today a clip broke and it goes into the console and stays there. Not even usable. So I am trying to glue the piece together and hopefully it will work. If Not, im going to let it sit. First gens are like the rough draft, I hope something will get better Im really annoyed with these shitty features.

#3 ·
I have a 1st gen cupholder with a light brown finish, but the piston won't lock closed...it's always open.

I got it at the junkyard, thinking it was light gray....damned colorblindness!

I'd consider parting with it if it would help you...

#6 ·
You know Chrysler put out a TSB with a redesigned cup holder for Gen I 93-96 LH cars? You have to buy a revised back seat heater duct as well in order for it to fit. The TSB lists the part numbers. Here is the TSB:

Cup Holder - Improvements/Service

NO: 23-43-96

GROUP: Body

DATE: Jul. 12, 1996

SUBJECT:
Cup Holder
Improvements /
Service

MODELS:

1993 - 1996 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker
NOTE :VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE APR. 15, 1996 (MDH 04-15-xx) REQUIRE THE REVISED CUP HOLDER AND CENTER FLOOR CONSOLE DUCT. VEHICLES BUILT AFTER APR. 15, 1996 THROUGH MAY 6, 1996 (MDH 05-06-xx) AT BRAMELEA ASSEMBLY PLANT ("H" ELEVENTH CHARACTER OF THE V.I.N.) AND MAY 13, 1996 (MDH 05-13-xx) AT NEWARK ASSEMBLY PLANT ("F" ELEVENTH CHARACTER OF THE V.I.N.) REQUIRE ONLY THE REVISED CUP HOLDER.

DISCUSSION:

The cup holder assembly has been revised effective with the dates given above. To install the revised cup holder or console assembly in earlier built vehicles it is necessary to install a revised center floor console duct. The revised heat duct provides additional clearance for the cup holder.

PARTS REQUIRED:
1 4596231 Duct, Floor Console, Center

AR XXXXXX Bezel, W/Cup Holder, or Console Assembly (Must Have
Trim Code To Specify Part, Refer to the Parts
Catalog or PAIS)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves replacing the cup holder and heat duct if required with revised parts.
1. Remove center console shift bezel from console, set to side (leave wiring connected).

2. Remove (4) attaching screws, (2) under console lid and (2) under rear of shift bezel. Remove cup holder/bezel.

3. Remove (2) attaching screws holding front console bracket to shift cable bracket.

4. Remove (2) attaching screws holding bottom of console bin to mounting bracket. Remove console.

5. Remove (4) attaching screws holding console/duct bracket to floor.

6. Remove existing center floor console duct and replace with P/N 4596231.

7. Install console and cup holder with bezel as necessary.

8. Install center console shift bezel.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty. TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 23-14-35-94 0.2 Hrs.
Cup Holder - Replace

23-14-35-95 0.4 Hrs.
Cup Holder and Duct - Replace

23-14-10-90 0.3 Hrs.
Console - Replace

23-14-10-91 0.4 Hrs.
Console and Duct - Replace

FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part

#9 ·
Go to your local dealer and show the parts man the printout with the TSB (above). Take your VIN and trim code (on door label). They can look up the revised part #. If you can get a part # specific for your trim code per the TSB, then order it from www.allchryslerparts.com. They list a cup holder for $42 (list price is $61). I do not know if this is the revised one or not but I did look it up using a 1997 Concorde. The revised heater duct is only $17 at this site but you may not need it (read which cars will need it in the TSB by the MDH - manufactured date code and the 11th character in the VIN showing which plant the car was assembled at). www.allchryslerparts.com is about 30% cheaper than list at any other dealer. This site belongs to Jack Miller Jeep dealership in MO. Their phone # is 816-474-2900. For some reason, their website sometimes quotes cheaper prices than if you call their regular parts dept. You have to ask for the Internet parts guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.