DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

No low-beams!

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Apcsox 
#1 ·
Howdy y'all~
I'm stumped, and I'm hoping someone far smarter than myself can point me in the right direction....again (and again and again...I'm glad I found this forum!)
On a day much like any other, I hopped into my reliable ol' '97 Intrepid and got ready to head into work. On turning on the headlights, I noticed my lights weren't coming on, so I flicked the dial back and forth a few times, and tried the high-beams, which DID work. Since I was already running late, I made a lot of other drivers angry and drove to work with my high-beams on. At work, I went out on break and checked the fuses-all good, and followed that by putting both of my headlights into a buddy's Concorde, where they worked just fine. I have no-go with my factory fog lights either. I don't consider myself utterly mechanically illiterate, but I have no idea what to check next. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
To summarize (I tend to ramble when I'm sleep deprieved :) ) :

No low beams or factory fog lights
High beams DO work
fuses and lamps all check out ok

ANy and all help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Neko

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm betting it's the headlight switch.

#3 · (Edited)
Chilton tells me the high beams run on different fuses than the low beams.
11 & 12 - high beams
15 & 16 - low beams

I can't tell if they have separate relays, too, without going out and looking at mine.

Given good fuses and relays, I'd bet on a bad headlight switch or a bad dimmer switch.

PS...also check for power at the headlamps using a known good ground.

#4 ·
is the multi-function switch stiking up? that was my problem alt month when I had no low/fogs because the switch was stuck on highs or stuck in the middle. try replacing the multi-function switch, can get one from a yard for about $15

#5 · (Edited)
My thanks, gents. I'm betting it's the dimmer switch as my wipers are now going wacko (stuck on, not working at all, no delay, way too much delay, you get the idea). Time to see a mechanic :( ANyone else have any ideas? Is this a job I might attempt? Dealing with the airbag makes me nervous...
Neko

#6 ·
dude, no need o go to a mechanic, the MF switch is easy, takes 10 minutes, all you need is a T-15 screw-driver and an E8 external star socket, both can be picked up at AZ for about $10

#7 ·
if you have Aim, Im me at Apcsox and I'll try to help

#10 ·
or pop the airbag fuse out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.