DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

HELP ME PLEASE! P/S problems!

781 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Hat Trick | Mafioso 
#1 ·
about once a month, my car dumps all it's coolant at any given time. I don't know cars, and don't exactly have all the money needed to take it to a mechanic. Also, today my car was acting funny. it seems to be dumping power steering fluid out, all over the place... It drips down to the exhaust pipe, causing the car to smoke... It's really starting to smoke more and more, and i picked up a few bottles of power steering fluid, because sometimes it's so hard for me to make a turn, and sometimes i just cant, because the thing you put the power steering fluid in is empty... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I won't have any transportation to work or school! what do i need to access, to diagnose a problem? PLEASE HELP

scared and worried,
me.

#2 ·
If you cant afford to go to a shop to have them fix it, and you aren't familiar with car repairs, then all you can do is keep putting fluids in until it finally gives up forcing you to park it. Sounds like you have a bad p/s hose (either the low pressure return hose or the high pressure line at the o-rings located at the pump or at the steering rack). My reservoir actually had a hole in it near where it mounts to the frame. Before replacing the pressure line, check to make sure it isn't simply the fifty cent o-rings that went bad. As for coolant, may be a leak that is only present under pressure (when the engine is hot). There is about a dozen points where it could be leaking - heater hoses, upper/lower radiator hoses, return pipe that goes around the back of the engine, radiator reservoir hoses (2), etc.

#5 ·
I had a buddy of mine look at it, and it turns out that it was the 0-ring. (frikin 0-ring...) anywho, seems like my bushings were shot (when he took off the bolt, there was nothing there, seriously) so we replaced those while we were at it, at $15/per pair . leaking has stopped, steering is a lot better, but thanx for all the advice (including you Big3) lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.