DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Smoke from thbe oil dip stick shaft

833 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Axle 
#1 ·
I notice sometime when I run my car hard that i can smell some burning oil and when I pull the dip stick out it smokes. Any ideas??

#3 ·
Eaglechef86 said:
I notice sometime when I run my car hard that i can smell some burning oil and when I pull the dip stick out it smokes. Any ideas??
if you have oil vapors coming out of the dip stick tube , then you need a new PCV valve and/or PCV hose.

#4 ·
the only time I noticed a blueish smoke coming from my dipstick was fresh after an oil change, that's about it

#5 ·
Sounds like you are having excess crankcase pressure issues because you have the common problem where the PCV valve or valve cover breather are needing to be replaced/cleaned.

Find the PCV valve and inspect it and replace if necessary. Also, take off the hose that plugs into the PCV valve and thoroughly clean it by spraying it with brake parts cleaner. If the stuff does not drip out the other end, you may have to stick something hard in there to push the crud out.

Be careful not to damage the hose when cleaning it, going to have to push firmly on whatever you're cleaning it with (long screw driver works for this) but don't push thru the side of the hose. Repeat above procedure for the breather line. If you can't because the buildup is just too thick, can always just buy a new hose.

Be sure that after you clean it then spray it or just spray it if the spray makes it thru to the other side just fine... to let the hose dry before you put it back.

One last thing, remember that the fumes from the break parts cleaner are very strong and will make you dizzy after less than a minute of exposure. Consider yourself warned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.