DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

OTIS Only compass info

1K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Shadowfax 
#1 ·
I just bought a 95 Intrepid ES 3.3 with 95k miles. The car in question has sustained some minor frontend damage when the former owner rearended a SUV on the freeway, but sustained very minor damage. Both lights, battery (was bad) and the Hood had to be replaced, and I had to drill the holes for the windshield washer fluid sprayers, but the bumper will have to wait until after the holidays when I can actually get out to the junkyard.

Now, on to my problem:

The OTIS I have is the same as what DCell posted in This Thread , but only the cumpass works at the moment, everything else has no output. MPG, External Temerature, etc.

I'm no car mechanic and can't honestly afford to take it in and looked at right now, but I should be able to fix this if someone can tell me what to look for and what might be wrong, and I can ask my stepdad for help, since the junkyard is near his house anyway. I have only owned this car for 3 days (400 miles in those 3 days ;)), and I'd really like to get the other info on the OTIS to actually work, so would anyone have any suggestions on where to start with these repairs?

#4 ·
I'll try and pop it off quick here, since I have the day off and nothing at all to do. I'd do a wiring test but I lack the hardware atm..

#5 ·
Argus said:
Run the OTIS diagnostics by pressing and holding in the "STEP" and "C/T" buttons simultaneously while inserting the key into the ignition and turning it to the ON/RUN (not START) position. Continue holding down the 2 buttons for at least 3 seconds after you turn the key to the ON/RUN position. The OTIS will display "PASS" in its readout if the OTIS wiring is connected correctly. The "PASS" rating does not necessarily mean the BCM is performing functions correctly, or that the temp sensor is hooked up correctly either. It just means you have the power and CCD bus lines connected to the OTIS console properly.
Theres how you test to see if the thing has power but I think it does because it gets shows the compass but its worth a try I guess, good luck

#7 ·
I don't suppose it could be a bad BCM? Or would other things start malfunctioning if that was the case?

#9 ·
Would you happen to know the location of the BCM on the 95? I can try and swap it at the same time as I do the bumper and see if this might remedy the situation.

#12 · (Edited)
I'll check for those, but it's not only the external temp. sensor that's not showing in the OTIS (which passed, by the way.), the fuel economy, etc. doesnt show up either. And I'll bet the temp sensor was damaged in the accident, since the bumper itself was pushed into the radiator enough to warp it slightly (barely noticeable, and no coolent leaking). I'm going to also check on the frame in the hopes that it isn't bent..

I have also bumped into an interesting problem: The passenger side front window doesn't always respond to the driver-side window controls, but works on the passenger side. This usually (but not always) happens after starting and fixes itself (so far) after a short while. I'm almost afraid to keep doing it since it might get stuck that way heh. This might be another sign of a bad BCM, correct?

-Edit-
My neighbor just asked me to help fix his belt, only to notice that his water pump had snapped off (!). I love cars. lol.

#13 ·
After some careful planning, this weekend I'm going to remove the knee bolster and take a peek at the BCM to make sure that it is indeed a premium BCM or no.

Then I'll drop down to the local junk yard and check if they have any 1st gen treps there, hoping as well that they have the ash-grey color that my car is so I can get a replacement bumper as well as a BCM if they have the required part. Which reminds me, during the replacement of the hood, and while reading the OTIS install how-to, I recalled finding a mysterious unused connector dangling behind the driver-side light. Well now I know what it was for :)

What I'm figuring here, is that I have the setup for the OTIS and the wiring, but I have a regular BCM and no ATS. This is just speculation, but it's what I can figure from what I have read and experienced so far.

After that I'll use a cotinuity tester and tear my door apart to test the wiring for that window control, it didn't work at all today, only the passenger side. Unless someone has any suggestions for another way to test this, I'd rather not tear another door apart, after all, I can put a car back together with half the bolts..

Reactions: Kensher
#15 ·
Saint Paul, close to 61 and 494.

#16 ·
Kensher said:
Also I know of a junkyard that has about 10 1st gen intrepis and the prices are very cheap. Let me know
Which one is it?

#18 ·
Kensher: OK, I stopped by there today, froze my a$$ off, and fell thanks in part to some moron tossing the carpeting of a car out while I was working. No luck on a ATS, or bumper, but I did try to claim at least the steel part, the cover could have been attained later. Unfortunately I broke a wrench and almost sliced my hand open in a flaming rage when I tried to move the bolt again, with a somewhat more expensive wrench, but ultimately gave up. Rust 1, Me 0.

Oh, I got lost too. Passed the place up by like 20 miles before I noticed. Mapquest said turn right, and I wrote turn right, well there were about 2353462354 right turns to choose from and I didn't notice their plain as day sign either, only after giving up and starting to head home did I see it heh.

I DID successfully acquire a BCM and it only had 9 power wires on her, so I tossed that in my car after I got home. I swear they scavenged everything of use off those cars, but I only saw four intrepids, none with OTIS at all, and a concord had the BCM in question, but the bumper was gone so no luck with a temp sensor there either.

UpullRparts 2, me 1.

Where did you see those concords at? I only saw one, unless they (re)moved them.. and that sebring with the fire damage.. lol.

Downsides of all this: My passenger window still hates to open using the driver-side control. The Anti-Lock break light comes on randomly whenever it wants, but goes away when I turn off and back on the car. I couldn't put the belt for A/C on my car (big deal, it's winter right? :p). In my excitement I went driving and somehow during this drive my system (amp/cap/sub) mysteriously stopped working. :(

Upsides: OTIS is 99% functioning (I only had two connectors for the BCM though, the third connection had no wiring. Is that a problem?). I still lack ambient temperature sensor, so the OTIS doesnt show outside temp yet. 185°F eh? I must be dead, lol.

So, if anyone has an Ambient Temperature Sensor for cheap (free? lol) I'll surely buy it.

Overall a very decent day, all things considered. I think it was a good experience to drop by there, and the staff were pretty cool too.

#19 ·
Shadowfax said:
Then I'll drop down to the local junk yard and check if they have any 1st gen treps there, hoping as well that they have the ash-grey color that my car is so I can get a replacement bumper as well as a BCM if they have the required part. Which reminds me, during the replacement of the hood, and while reading the OTIS install how-to, I recalled finding a mysterious unused connector dangling behind the driver-side light. Well now I know what it was for :)
what the hell is that mysterious connector for? always wondered that whenever I do something underneath the hood

#20 ·
Shadowfax said:
Upsides: OTIS is 99% functioning (I only had two connectors for the BCM though, the third connection had no wiring. Is that a problem?). I still lack ambient temperature sensor, so the OTIS doesnt show outside temp yet. 185°F eh? I must be dead, lol.

My car has the overhead, and nothing else.. my premium bcm also has the 3rd plug empty..

#21 ·
Apcsox: I am referring to the Ambient Temperature Sensor, the two-wire plug that dongles behind the driver-side light. That reads the outside temp and feeds it to teh OTIS. Air Temp -> ATS -> BCM -> OTIS -> You

Veeb0rg: Thanks for that, I was kinda nervous that I might break my precioussss :|

#22 ·
I found most of the otis in the concords, there was also a long otis in a black eagle vison it was there a couple of week sago cause thats where I got me leather interior. If need more parts let me know when you are going again. By the way which location did you go to Rosemont or East Bethel. I have always went ot the Rosemont never made it to the East Bethel yet?

#23 ·
Rosemont, and I think I got the BCM from an eagle vision, but there was no bumper, nor any interior, so it was rather hard to determin the make/model of the car.

I can go today, actually. I just need to know where to find things, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.