DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Wtf Is Wrong?!

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  biniecki 
#1 ·
Ok guys here is the deal. I started my car this afternoon and there is something very wrong with it. It was fine last night but here is what it did today. I started it and it was spuddering quite a bit like a spark plug had fouled out or had bad gas or something. I put it in reverse and it got worst and once moving there was a couple of poping noises ( some sort of metal part or something popping). I took it down the road and it was very very sluggish and had a hard time shifting. I would rev to around 4k before shifting between gears and once it did shift it was kick shifting badly. Then from a stop and then going the car wanted to pull side to side before actually going straight. Eventually the problem seemed to go away after driving about 5 miles. I checked all the fluid levels and checked the error codes and got nothing but an EGR error that has been there sense ive owned the car. Anyone have any idea as to wtf is going on. I thaught it might be a combination between plugs, wires, and gas, but that would only explain the sputtering and nothing else. Any help is greatly apprieciated. Thanks

#4 ·
Yeah a stuck oepn egr valve will cause idling and drivability issues similar to what you are describing. A vacuum leak will have similar problems with backfiring because the mixture will get lean, but you might have thrown a lean code for the O2 sensors if you were running lean.

BTW what was the code you pulled up?

#5 ·
its not backfiring, the noise is a clunking noise like kinda hitting a pot hole or a kick shift sound. As far as the pulling as cv joints im not sure its almost like the traction control is acting up. The only code that im getting is 32 which is a short detected in EGR flow circuit and its been that way for at least the 6 months that ive owned the car

#6 ·
you may want to replace that egr valve just incase, because that could be very well be the problem. if an egr valve isnt working correctly, expect your car to qualify for retardation. pending on how the egr valve is messed up, your car could do any of the following: Stalling out constantly (Have to keep foot on gas over 1k rpms), variation in idling speeds, and your sputtering problem. Either way get that egr valve fixed, my cousins expedition was out of business for about 2 months until they got a new egr valve put in. but also, what if your timing is off? get someone to check out the timing belt for you.

#7 ·
I know the timing is fine i just had to reset it when changing the water pump and it was reset by my gfs dad who is a certified mechanic. Also i dont think its the EGR valve that is messed up. I think its more the transducer than the valve from what i was told about the error code at autozone when i had them hook it up to a reader.

#8 ·
I was just thinking about this again this morning when it happened again. It only occurs the first time i start the car for the first time of the day. It never use to do this until i put a new air intake on and was wondering if moisture may be building up on the inside of the tube from the change in temperature overnight and then getting into the engine causing all the problems. If this is so, how could i go about stopping the water from entering the engine

#9 ·
biniecki said:
I know the timing is fine i just had to reset it when changing the water pump and it was reset by my gfs dad who is a certified mechanic. Also i dont think its the EGR valve that is messed up. I think its more the transducer than the valve from what i was told about the error code at autozone when i had them hook it up to a reader.
When you get a code 32 you need to take care of that first. Not only will 32 be set from a bad transducer solenoid, but 32 can also be set by a bad EGR valve. When the PCM energizes the egr solenoid, it blocks vacuum at transducer and does not allow EGR operation. When PCM de-energizes the solenoid it allows EGR valve operation. If your solenoid fails you will have EGR valve opening at a time when it shouldn't. Also during certain operating parameters the PCM will check for proper EGR operation by energizing and de-energizing the solenoid and at the same time check for the expected change in o2 sensor input. A failed or malfunctioning EGR system can cause spark knock,hesitation,rough idle and/or stalling.

#10 ·
i dont think its the egr tho it seems kinda funny all this started around the time i put the new intake on and there it only does it when the car is started for the first time in the morning. i plan on changing the egr valve and solenoid this spring when it is warmer out and i have some extra money until then i will leave it go like i have been a suffer with the shitty gas milage lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.