DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

cam position sensor replaced?????? now what

843 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  iarecheap 
#1 ·
I replaced the cam position sensor on their 97 dodge intrepid 3.5l engin and it still will not start still throwing code 54 also replaced crankshat position sensor and the coil pack now what am i supposed to do...........

#4 ·
Now you check the wiring. Unplug Cam sensor. Unplug 60 pin PCM connector. The 20ga Orange wire at cam connector should have continuity to pin #7 at PCM connector (this is the 8 volt power supply). The 20BK/LB* wire should show continuity from cam to pin #4 of PCM (this is the ground path). The 20TN/YL* wire should have continuity from cam to pin #44 of PCM (this is the signal)

#6 ·
Have you confirmed you still have no spark with all those new sensors? I chased my tail one time because the car originally had no spark when it came in, I put a new crank sensor in it but it still would not start (I had fuel pressure). After a lot of head scratching and trying different things, I discovered it had no compression. The timing gear went out and the crank sensor picked up a ton of metal shavings and shorted out.

#7 ·
well we know now what is what. first thing I should have done was to check and see if the cam was turning, which it is not...... seems the waterpump seized up and broke several teeth on the belt so that the timing cam shaft was not turning at all...... so now we repaced the waterpump and the belt and I have new sensors and coil pak in place and it should run like new ..... thank you all who tried to help and I hope this posting will help someone else down the road..........personal note if the computor says no cam position sensor pull sensor and watch and see if cam shaft gear turns in the hole that the sensor was in................. real quick real fast...... thank you again for the advice........Henry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.