DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Anyone have parking pin/pawl experience?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lextrep 
#1 ·
We need to replace the parking pin/pawl on our son's 95 ES. Hubby found out how much the pin will be- around $60- but doesn't like the installation price he was quoted- $200-250. He's a true dedicated DYI-er and is looking for info on this replacement. Can someone point me in the right direction?

#2 ·
Remove pan and valve body, remove parking pawl and replace same. Frankly, I would pay the $250 since you would get tranny fluid all over you and messing with the valve body is a pain in the ass. The two accumulator pistons will fal out and it takes two to get the valve body back in and hold the two pistons up in their bores at the same time when replacing the valve body. You have to disconnect the gear shift cable and wire harness, you also would need to jack up the car pretty high (I used ramps when I worked on my valve body to replace the accumulator pistons).

#3 · (Edited)
the 250 price is not bad for labor to replace this. It is not an easy DIY job to do while lying on your back under the car. The procedure listed above pretty much sums up the process. And removing valve body and getting it back in does take 4 hands working together. If you haven't had a transmission apart this one is not a easy one to learn on. If they are replacing filter and fluid for that price then it is really worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.