DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

it's a mystery...

878 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Eprisoncells 
#1 ·
Hopefully someone can help me out with this...

95 3.5 intrepid
no recent mech fixes

I have an aweful coolant leak... I have tried to find it squeezing myself in and around the motor. Heater hoses are dry, motor is dry...however, the trans is wet with coolant. It leaks so much I have to put coolant in every week or so. This is the only problem I have with the car and I would very much like to get it fixed (myself if possible). I have read the postings for other's leaks but I am still baffled.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Livingsand

#2 ·
About a year ago I had a coolant leak. There was a puddle on the ground below the trans bell housing. My first thought was a rotted out freeze plug between the engine and trans. Then I noticed a stain on top of the bell housing and found that it was coming from a plastic dealer installed flushing Tee. The strange thing was that I couldn't feel any wetness on the heater hose but only on the underside of the Tee.

#3 ·
You'll likely need to have the system under pressure to see/detect the leak. If it's not safe to have the car running and hot while you feel and look for the leak, then you can get a pump to pressurize the system. If you still can't see it, thenyou can get some fluorescent dye at the auto parts store that glows under black light...they make it specially for various systems...oil, coolant, etc.

#5 ·
Most likely a water pump. Water pumps either make a weird noise or leak badly. It could also be a frost plug but if you cant see it and not obvious, then my guess is a water pump. Depending on the mileage, it would be a good idea to do the timing belt and tensioner at the same time.

#6 ·
It could be a freeze plug. My 94 Vision Tsi has the same problem and the repair shop pressure checked and found the leak coming from the bell housing, though they couldn't see the condition of the freeze plugs. They recommended me to a transmission shop since they said the tranny will need to come off to replace it and they don't do that. So I'll be taking it to the tranny shop either tomorrow or Monday depending on when they can get me in.

#7 ·
It can't be the water pump if it is back on the bell housing.

My guess would be the the heater lines and hose that run around the back of the engine. The one crosses over the top of the bell housing (actually attaches to the bell housing top bolts) to get to the heater. It is metal part of the the way but there are rubber sections also that could develope a leak.

At least if the 3.5's are like the 3.3's that is the way it is setup.

#8 ·
dodgerunner said:
It can't be the water pump if it is back on the bell housing.

My guess would be the the heater lines and hose that run around the back of the engine. The one crosses over the top of the bell housing (actually attaches to the bell housing top bolts) to get to the heater. It is metal part of the the way but there are rubber sections also that could develope a leak.

At least if the 3.5's are like the 3.3's that is the way it is setup.
That is where I'd be looking; one of the easiest places to develop a leak and one of the only places coolant gets to back there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.