DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Timing belt cover

797 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jfsram 
#1 ·
I replaced the timing bet this year but one of the bolts broke off from the timing belt cover and now there is a gap between the engine and the cover. It does not interfere with any of the pullies or belts, is there any harm in this, if moisture gets in to where the timing belt is could it damage anything?

#5 ·
There is a gasket around the plate. when you put it back on, the book recommends adding a bead of rtv sealant. I agree that you should fix that. A gap could lead to something falling in or oil getting in, water, etc...and you don't want to mess up the timing belt and water pump...my 2 cents. :smilie_qu

#6 ·
you'll keep more oil in there with the cover on then with it off. some water, sure, soem dust yea, but who knows, i didn't have any issues but thats just me

#7 ·
Eh, If it was my car i'd putt it on the list of things to do when I got real board. From what I could tell one bolt wouldn't do a lot of damage. There are two other wholes above the cam sprakets anyways. If it's a small crack you are just as likely to get stuff in those two wholes. Just my two cents
-Taaf-

#8 ·
The old 2.2's only had 2 plastic covers to prevent fingers from getting snagged in the top and one on the bottom to keep road debris like rocks and snow out.

Dust will never bother a timing belt.

Although I'm a stickler for details and the broken bolt would bother me too. I wouldn't sweat fixing it for the sole reason of keeping out dirt and water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.