DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

12vdc lighter plug?????

623 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  n0c7 
#1 ·
I just installed an XM satellite radio in my wifes '97 Intrepid. This uses the 12volt cigarette lighter as a power source. Everything works great EXCEPT that the 12v plug is on all the time even with the ignition off. I would like to leave the unit plugged in and turn on with the ignition. Is there a way to swap wires out so the 12v plug is on only when the car is key is on.

If that is not possible, can someone tell me what wires I can SAFELY tap into to run another 12vdc plug (from Radio Shack) without frying anything.

I am fairly literate when it comes to electrical connections and I am hoping this could really be a 1/2 hour project.

Thanks in advance,

Flattrack77

#4 ·
12vdc for XM radio

Thanks for your suggestions.... I looked last night and of course there is no real EZ way to get to any of those wires without A) pulling the stereo, or B) a contortionist.

So I looked around and under the passenger seat where I ran the XM antenna, is a pair of wires for what looks like the seatbelt sensor. I pulled the connector apart and with the key on, got 12v off the red, using the seat bolt that attaches to the body as a ground . Nothing with the key off.

I think this would be the easiest wire to splice into for switched 12v.

Any thoughts would be appreciated........

Thanks

Flattrack77

#6 ·
12vdc wire

The XM radio is one of the portable RoadyXTs that sits on a mount on the right side of the dash between the radio and the glove compartment. To take it in the house or anywhere else you unplug the antenna and power cable. The antenna wire runs from the trunk, along the side rail and under the passenger seat where it is hidden along the center console until it comes up to connect to the XM receiver. So an additional wire coming out from the console is no big deal. The seatbelt wire is right there next to the the new antenna wire. I hate messy installations and spaghetti wires everywhere, but this will look very neat and clean.

I know the radio removal is not hard, as I replaced her AM/FM/Cassette with an upgrade Mopar CD unit. As you said, pop off the trim and unbolt a couple of bolts and it is out. They really made it easier than Fords with their special 2 prong fork to release the clips. If the unit was permanently going to stay in her car, that would be my route going to the radio harness for the 12v.

Thanks again for your suggestions....

Flattrack77

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.